MySQL running and unblocked but shows as not

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL running and unblocked but shows as not

Postby originalgabriel » 05. October 2011 03:19

I just installed XAMPP Lite 1.7.7 on my XP machine (not on a USB drive); no errors showed up when running setup_xampp.bat, starting Apache and MySQL via the XAMPP Control Panel worked fine and both show as running and http://localhost/xampp/status.php shows everything as 'ACTIVATED' but, when I go to http://localhost/security/index.php it states "A MySQL server is not running or is blocked by a firewall!" and lists MySQLs status as 'UNKNOWN' and http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php states "The MySQL server is not running or is blocked by a firewall! Please check this problem first ...".

Both Apache and MySQL have been allowed through the firewall so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what's going on. Even mysql_error.log seems to think all is well
Code: Select all
111004 18:49:44 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
111004 18:49:45 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
111004 18:49:45 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use Windows interlocked functions
111004 18:49:45 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3
111004 18:49:46 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 16.0M
111004 18:49:46 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
InnoDB: The first specified data file \xampp\mysql\data\ibdata1 did not exist:
InnoDB: a new database to be created!
111004 18:49:46  InnoDB: Setting file \xampp\mysql\data\ibdata1 size to 10 MB
InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait...
111004 18:49:50  InnoDB: Log file \xampp\mysql\data\ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file \xampp\mysql\data\ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
111004 18:49:53  InnoDB: Log file \xampp\mysql\data\ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
InnoDB: Setting log file \xampp\mysql\data\ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
InnoDB: 127 rollback segment(s) active.
InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
111004 18:49:59  InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start
111004 18:50:00 InnoDB: 1.1.8 started; log sequence number 0
111004 18:50:04 [Note] Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events
111004 18:50:04 [Note] mysql\bin\mysqld.exe: ready for connections.
Version: '5.5.16'  socket: ''  port: 3306  MySQL Community Server (GPL)
originalgabriel

Re: MySQL running and unblocked but shows as not

Postby Sharley » 05. October 2011 03:35

Not sure if that really creates an issue as I don't have the lite 1.7.7 version to test out but the full version seems fine.

When you run http://localhost and after selecting your language did you exercise all the demos and did you receive any errors?

Just out fo curiosity are there any clues about this in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby originalgabriel » 05. October 2011 03:52

Sharley wrote:Not sure if that really creates an issue as I don't have the lite 1.7.7 version to test out but the full version seems fine.

When you run http://localhost and after selecting your language did you exercise all the demos and did you receive any errors?

Just out fo curiosity are there any clues about this in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file?

The lite version doesn't have any of the demos that the full version has and there's noting in the apache logs dealing with MySQL at all
originalgabriel

Postby Sharley » 05. October 2011 03:57

According to your MySQL log everything is fine and should not present a problem.

How ever I am currently download the lite version and will try and see what your issue may be by trying to replicate it.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby originalgabriel » 05. October 2011 04:10

Sharley wrote:According to your MySQL log everything is fine and should not present a problem.

How ever I am currently download the lite version and will try and see what your issue may be by trying to replicate it.

I'm really lost by this. Behind the scenes, everything looks well and everything seems to work well (I changed the root password via the command line, launched phpMyAdmin and browsed the db without issue, etc.), it's just the XAMPP front end that's throwing up the errors.
originalgabriel

Postby Mark7226 » 05. October 2011 06:12

Hey guys I'm having the same issue as well Can anyone help? Please!
Mark7226

Postby originalgabriel » 05. October 2011 06:54

Mark7226 wrote:Hey guys I'm having the same issue as well Can anyone help? Please!

Does your install show that it's blocked as well but everything runs fine? I've been able to install a CMS and do some db queries via phpMyAdmin with no problem, it's just the front end of XAMPP that's showing that things are wrong when, in fact, they are fine.
originalgabriel

Postby Sharley » 05. October 2011 11:17

After downloading the xampp-win32-1.7.7-usb-lite.7z version I extracted the xampp folder to the root of my G:\ drive.

I then renamed the folder to G:\xampplite177 because I have many version installed on the one drive for troubleshooting issues in the forums.

Next I ran setup_xampp.bat file and started the Control Panel.

Now I Started Apache and MySQL and clicked on the Admin buttons.

I then selected my language and was now at the Welcome page.

Next I went through the Security links and there was no issues at all like the ones you presented above.

Absolutely no problems at all.

So if you used the installer version I suggest doing a proper uninstall that is to stop Apache and MySql and remove any ticks in the Svc check boxes to uninstall the Windows services - there should be no ticks in the boxes as this version does not allow installing windows services from the control panel and there are no install service bat files present, because it is designed to be installed on a USB device.

Then you can now delete the xampplite folder.

Next download the xampp-win32-1.7.7-usb-lite.7z or the xampp-win32-1.7.7-usb-lite.zip version and extract the xampp folder to the root of your drive and run the setup_xampp.bat file.

Thats what I did and so could not replicate your issue because I NEVER use the installer exe file versions, ever.

If the installation is running well then one could ignore those error messages.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Best wishes, :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows