phpmyadmin cannot start session without error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpmyadmin cannot start session without error

Postby cjohnson » 30. September 2011 21:34

Hi,

I have recently downloaded and installed xampp 1.7.7 and everything seems to be working correctly until i was faced with the error "Cannot start session without errors, please check errors given in your PHP and/or webserver log file and configure your PHP installation properly." I installed xampp on my D drive............location is D:\xampp. i have previously used xampp 1.7.3 in the same location with the same exact settings, installed it the same way and had not one problem. I'm running windows vista sp2. when I installed xampp 1.7.7 for the first time i was able to log in phpmyadmin 2 times and after those 2 sessions then the problem arise. i google the error and already performed some trouble shooting like clearing cache and cookies many times and reloating the save session directory from D:\xampp\tmp to C:\Windows\Temp and still received the same error, also changed it in the php.ini file to match the new location and still have the same error. I'm using the built in administrator account with UAC disabled because of the mac transformation pack i'm using. Plz help!!! i really want to use xampp 1.7.7 but need to fix this issue that i never faced before with xampp 1.7.3
cjohnson

Re: phpmyadmin cannot start session without error

Postby Sharley » 30. September 2011 22:02

Try using the new version 3 Control Panel which gives a better idea of what is going on and has many more control features:
D:\xampp\xampp-control-3-beta.exe

Although it is named as a beta version it is actually well tested and just about all known bugs have been addressed by the author Stephen:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46743

You can paste in forum code tags the log file window with the details if you can't understand them.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby cjohnson » 05. October 2011 00:08

Hi,

I tried the new version 3 Control Panel as you suggested and got the same error as before. It might sound weird, but I got the problem resolved. I noticed, for me that whenever I launch phpmyadmin from the contol panel interface by clicking the admin button beside mysql, that is when i get the error. If i access phpmyadmin by typing the url directly in the address bar using IE9, I don't get the error. So I tried it a couple of times and whenever I launch it from the control panel, the error is displayed and if I type in the url or launch it from my bookmarks I don't get the error, and this is the situaltion when I'm using IE9. So for me I just use my bookmarks to access phpmyadmin and avoid lauching it from the control panel, that way everything works flawlessly. What gave me the hint that phpmyadmin was working with me not needing to relocate the temp folder nor change permission is when I accessed it via firefox 7.0 and google chrome 11.0 and it loaded with no errors. So then I began to troubleshoot IE9 and came up with these findinds. Thanks for you suggestions!!!!!
cjohnson

Postby hackattack142 » 05. October 2011 00:25

If you do prefer to use the CP to launch it, you can also try telling it which browser to use. It uses your default system browser if you do not specify anything. To set a custom browser, you can click on the "Config" button in the upper right of the CP and, under the browser section, browse to the browser executable you wish to use (firefox.exe, iexplore.exe, etc..).
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows