*** XAMPP For Windows 1.7.5 Now Available ***

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

*** XAMPP For Windows 1.7.5 Now Available ***

Postby Sharley » 14. September 2011 11:24

Good news! :)

XAMPP For Windows 1.7.5 release files have now been uploaded to sourceforge.

The Lite versions and the main version zip, installer exe and 7zip files have now been uploaded.

Here is the SourceForge 1.7.5 files page

There is no upgrade version, too many changes including the method used to compile the main components.
So remember not to overwrite any previous versions with this 1.7.5 version.

8) :D 8)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: *** XAMPP For Windows 1.7.5 Now Available ***

Postby Sharley » 15. September 2011 09:55

I downloaded the 7zip version and extracted all the files and folders from the archived xampp folder into G:\xampp175 so I could add this new version to all the other XAMPP versions I have available using this method.

After extracting the xampp folder to your desired location please do read the readme_en.txt file as it does contain all the included component version numbers and a few changes including a much improved translation.

I then ran the G:\xampp175\setup_xampp.bat file to have it automatically set all the required paths correctly.

Following running the bat file I then ran xampp-control-3-beta.exe, my preferred and superior XAMPP Control Panel, to allow me to start the Apache and MySQL components with no issues presented at this stage.

My next step was to go to http://localhost and after selecting my preferred language I exercised all the menu items presented in the XAMPP Welcome page.

There appeared to be no issues at this stage and so I assume that my 1.7.5 installation was successful.

I will, over the next few weeks, extensively test this version and will try and report any issues I may find here in this topic, much like I did with 1.7.4.

It is now imperative when asking for support that you specify the XAMPP version and the Windows operating system where you installed XAMPP as this version 1.7.5 has been compiled using VC9 as opposed to VC6 of all previous version, it is still compiled using thread safe (TS).

Good luck. 8)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby WilliL » 15. September 2011 12:48

On windows xp home the installer version works fine for me. I only changed th install path to c:/xampp175 for I've got different versions installed.
Remember: depending on preinstalled versions FileZillaServer may run as a service. So your control panel may show you an information of an other FileZillaServer.
(I was very surprised, that xampp security check showed me a protected FileZillaServer on a fresh installation)

Start Control Panel, uncheck svc button, check svc button, start Filezillaserver admin and change standard passwords/user 8)
Willi
WilliL

Operating System: Win7Home Prem 64 SP1

Postby Sharley » 16. September 2011 07:58

@WilliL
This post may be relevant in that some improvement suggestions to FileZilla's CP3 control have been offered:
viewtopic.php?p=184673#p184673

PHP
Worth noting that short_open_tag is now On by default in the php.ini file - may reduce the number of support requests for having them set to Off by default.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby hackattack142 » 17. September 2011 00:29

I think the current FileZilla check only checks the name of the service (which is a hardcoded name) and not the executable path so it will pick up other installations too.

Also, XAMPP 1.7.6 now appears to be out.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby Sharley » 20. September 2011 13:07

hackattack142 wrote:Also, XAMPP 1.7.6 now appears to be out.
The latest BETA releases of XAMPP for Windows now 1.7.6 and as usual can be found here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-beta.html

Beta releases are for testing only and usually are not ready for development use until the final version is released.

Reporting of 1.7.6 issues should not be presented in this forum but should be brought to the attention of the developers by using the contact form on the above beta release page.

When the final XAMPP for Windows 1.7.6 is released then all the files will be available on the Sourceforge repository. and the next beta version should appear shortly after on the beta page mentioned above and on the BETA files page at Sourceforge..
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Sharley » 20. September 2011 13:31

It would appear that version 1.7.6 may be being omitted perhaps because of an Apache version vulnerability.

The 1.7.7 files are loaded on SourceForge in the final release section here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/f ... ows/1.7.7/

Linux has been offered an update version from 1.7.4 to 1.7.7 ( Oswald's pet project :) )

I expect a forum announcement to follow very soon with more details about the above.

The beta page still has 1.7.7 files but that may change very soon so I have deleted the topic I posted about the 1.7.7 beta release.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Bithunter » 20. September 2011 13:39

Sharley wrote:It would appear that version 1.7.6 may be being omitted perhaps because of an Apache version vulnerability.

The 1.7.7 files are loaded on SourceForge in the final release section here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/f ... ows/1.7.7/

Linux has been offered an update version from 1.7.4 to 1.7.7 ( Oswald's pet project :) )

I expect a forum announcement to follow very soon with more details about the above.

The beta page still has 1.7.7 files but that may change very soon so I have deleted the topic I posted about the 1.7.7 beta release.

Thanks for the update. Could you share something about the XAMPP release cycle? 1.7.4 for many months, and two consecutive (or three, counting 1.7.6) in less than a month? 1.7.7 should now be considered a stable build?

Thanks!
Bithunter

Postby Sharley » 20. September 2011 14:43

This rapid version change usually means that one or more of the component versions may have a security vulnerability or some quick upgrades but more will be revealed very soon now.

Once the version files have been uploaded to their final page in sourceforge (link above) then they are deemed to be the final release.

Stable terminology should not be used with XAMPP as there are too many variables that may affect stability - the preferred terminology is final release.

I am downloading 1.7.7 to give it a whirl and expect that it will not be updated before the end of the week :D

As soon as I know anything more I will keep the forum informed.

EDIT WITH MORE INFORMED NEWS.
I have just been informed that 1.7.6 will not be released from beta because MySQL 5.5.16 was released last weekend, so the new version became 1.7.7 final for now and as pointed out above you can download from the sourceforge link at your leisure.

A formal announcement will be made in the forums and on the home pages as time permits but you can take it for now that 1.7.7 is the current final release - enjoy. :D
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Bithunter » 20. September 2011 15:50

Thanks a lot!
Bithunter

Return to XAMPP for Windows