Installing XAMPP in a different location

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installing XAMPP in a different location

Postby MrAlexander » 06. September 2011 05:16

Hello,

I would like to install XAMPP in a different location then /Applications.

When I attempt to open it within a different folder, it tells me to move it to "Applications".

How can this be corrected ?

Thank you for your help.

Mr. Alexander
MrAlexander

Re: Installing XAMPP in a different location

Postby JonB » 06. September 2011 23:23

it can be correct because you are dealing with Mac OSX, which has a definite idea of where things belong AFAIK. That image file likely wants to put all the various pieces in spots that it knows will be properly permissioned under OSX.

http://www.rit.edu/its/services/desktop ... tions.html

If you insist, you can try the tips at the bottom of that page. The installation script for Linux has a similar behavior - off LAMPP goes to /opt. and all the 'little parts' go where they should for a generalized Linux model. putting them elsewhere is a prescription for 'no werky'.

Good Luck whatever you chose to do, let us know how it works out.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby MrAlexander » 08. September 2011 02:14

Hello Jon,

Thank you very much for your help however I am lookIng for something less intense and here is what I want:

I am using dropbox across my 3 work stations and would like to make sure that by me installing xammp within my dropbox folder I am able to work on my files all the times, with the databases being current, without having to sync the files myself.

Are you able to let me know whether this is possible please ?

Mr Alexander
MrAlexander

Postby JonB » 08. September 2011 18:39

I don't think that is possible. But you are welcome to try.

I also don't think you understand database servers and client server architecture. One machine running XAMPP could easily serve a half dozen users (or more). There is no need to put the XAMPP folder anywhere else.

AFAIK Dropbox is for FILES, not applications

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby MrAlexander » 08. September 2011 22:20

Hello Jon,

I am not interested in serving the users but rather being able to work on the latest version of the files regardless of where I am.

I have the option, of course, to setup a remote connection but this process has been eliminated by Dropbox which keeps all computers in sync with all the files.

With the xampp folder being in the dropbox folder this means that all files,databases will always be up-to-date regardless of where I am..

I hope this helps you understand my needs better.
MrAlexander

Postby JonB » 08. September 2011 23:09

well, no matter what is convenient for you - its probably not going to work the way you want in that scenario. The underlying reason is that in almost all cases the applications and files for MySQL have to be 'local' - i.e. resident on that machine.

There is a way to do this - its known as 'platform as a service' - and neither Dropbox nor XAMPP is that. OR just get a VPS.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby MrAlexander » 09. September 2011 13:47

Hello Jon,

Doesn't xampp store all the database info inside the /xampp/.. folders ?
MrAlexander

Postby JonB » 09. September 2011 14:31

A. - yes - it does

B. - Real my last - No - Dropbox is not a local device, its a remote service that someone has put window dressing on so it masquerades as part of your file system.

You are welcome to try anything you want, its a free world, and the software is free. That being said, none of it alters the underlying facts.

I am only giving you a realistic assessment, based on my knowledge.

Drop a line to Steve Jobs and the developers of Apache, MySQL & Dropbox, because those are your contraints - they are not constraints created by JonB or the packagers or XAMPP, these are underlying architectural issues. Just like why XAMPP won't run on iPads (why ever would you want to do that?) nor AppleTV2 - wrong processor. I answered those questions too. The problem is that the Apple architecture is not designed for innovation, other than innovation where Apple gets its byte. (ask any mobile device developer about how much Apple gets of their revenure - its obscene)

At this point I have explained way more than needed. Dropbox, Apple TV and Ipads are NOT supported architectures. XAMPP is a free disribution of components designed by other organizations.

Finally - remote connections are how most everything works, trust me, underlying Dropbox is a remote connection - you just don't see it.

cya
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for macOS