win7 64 : control panel failure and skype

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

win7 64 : control panel failure and skype

Postby grosloulou » 01. September 2011 23:09

hallo,
i have win7 64 bits and skype launced at startup.
just installed xampp and control panel displays an error message :
status check failure 3.
this program must be run from your xampp directory
an icon is however in status bar so i can open and click on button "start apache" but it doesn't start.mysql is ok.
i have found that it is because of skype.
i have seen that alternative ports for skype are 80 and 441. apparently it is not an alternative because it blocks xampp.
i have unchecked these ports in skype.
i still have failure at start but now can run apache and mysql and see my php.

can you please tell me why control panel displays an error and if it is advised to configure apache and mysql as service,... I am new in the php field.

is there a version for win7 64 bits ?

best regards
marc
grosloulou

Re: win7 64 : control panel failure and skype

Postby hackattack142 » 01. September 2011 23:51

I am assuming you are using 1.7.4 in which case the default control panel has a few bugs. You can try using this newer control panel and it should fix that: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46743

Also, XAMPP is 32 bit only but it should run fine in Win7 x64.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby grosloulou » 02. September 2011 05:35

hallo,
many thanks for answer.

It is not clear on the forum. everybody can add its code, several links are given,...finally i don't know the latest english release and if it overwrites the existing control panel or if we now run another exe name like "control3.exe".

i think i would be more confident when official latest release apppears on soundforge.
don't you think ?
i have seen beta 175 but didn't dare

just tried 174vc6 but download failed

can we install a complete install on an existing installation or do we remove xampp from control panel>remove ?

is skype conflict known and fixed when skype has started at computer startup and we run xampp control panel ?µdo you advise to uncheck alternative ports 80 and 441 from skype setup ? for me, an alternative is not the default but it seems skype starts on 80.

best regards
marc
grosloulou

Postby hackattack142 » 07. September 2011 00:20

It is not clear on the forum. everybody can add its code, several links are given,...finally i don't know the latest english release and if it overwrites the existing control panel or if we now run another exe name like "control3.exe".

After you extract the new control panel into your XAMPP folder, it does not overwrite the other control panel. To use the new control panel, you need to run "control3.exe"

i think i would be more confident when official latest release apppears on soundforge.
don't you think ?
i have seen beta 175 but didn't dare

I think it depends on your situation. Some web technologies/services might be dependent on certain versions of servers/programs. In this case, you would need to use possibly older versions of XAMPP. If you are starting from a clean slate and do not have such restrictions, you should not have a problem using the beta version. It is essentially updated versions of Apache, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, and PHP (possibly other small things as well). I use the latest betas but I only need it for the SQL server and the nice phpMyAdmin administration interface for local database work.

just tried 174vc6 but download failed

It seems to work fine for me. Try the link from the official XAMPP download page: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

can we install a complete install on an existing installation or do we remove xampp from control panel>remove ?

Unless there is a specific upgrade installer, I would avoid this. I think it is always better to back up existing data (in this case any custom web content, sql tables, config settings), remove the old version (if you used the installer then use the Control Panel>Add/Remove programs. if you used the ZIP version, you can just delete the folder after you have backed up your custom data). You should also be mindful when upgrading if any of your custom content will be incompatible with new versions of servers/programs.

is skype conflict known and fixed when skype has started at computer startup and we run xampp control panel ?µdo you advise to uncheck alternative ports 80 and 441 from skype setup ? for me, an alternative is not the default but it seems skype starts on 80.

I believe this is a known issue. As to the fix, you have a couple options. The first (and probably easiest) would be to disable those ports in Skype. Alternatively, you could change the ports that Apache listens on by editing the httpd.conf file. If you choose to edit the port, you will have to specify the new port in all URLs. For example, if you set it to listen on 5555, you would always have to use http://localhost:5555/path/to/content. Which method you choose is up to you.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows