problems from xampp to web hosting

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

problems from xampp to web hosting

Postby apaxi » 18. July 2011 13:16

I'm having problems getting my projects to work from desktop to my web hosting. any else having the same experience or maybe I should move to a different hosting company? anybody can recommend these companies [Link remove by moderator] ? I really would like to hear from those that are currently hosted on one of the companies on the list. Thanks!
apaxi

Re: problems from xampp to web hosting

Postby JonB » 18. July 2011 21:07

I think that in order for anyone to help you, you will need to be much more specific as to what your problems are.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Sharley » 18. July 2011 23:08

IMHO, spam crumbs for search engine bots cunningly pure and simple. :(
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby apaxi » 20. July 2011 06:31

JonB wrote:I think that in order for anyone to help you, you will need to be much more specific as to what your problems are.

Good Luck
8)

I really can't remember because it has been years since I used XAMPP or anything similar. I just want to try it again so I can work offline while I'm out with no internet connection :)

Sharley wrote:IMHO, spam crumbs for search engine bots cunningly pure and simple. :(

:mrgreen:
apaxi

Postby apaxi » 22. August 2011 11:56

anybody? :cry:
apaxi

Postby JonB » 22. August 2011 14:55

Apaxi:

You still have not told us what your real problems are (other than you don't know a lot about servers). Its unlikely that the problems really come from your hosting company, or your setup of XAMPP. You probably;y don't understand what makes them different - You should read this well thought out post by my friend Altrea:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47965#p183727

Bear in mind that you can almost never get a one-on-one exact match between a hosting environment and a local server. First, things work differently between Unix/Linux based systems and Windows based systems because of differences in the underlying OS. Even if you wanted to build a Linux/Unix box, it would be difficult. Hosting companies work with 'frozen' provisioning images, that they replicate. Even with the desire to do that you would likely fail, this is usually because you aren't a systems engineer with enough knowledge to build a 'clone system' (which is very very hard, and often requires access to licensed software - read "costs money")

Your best bet is to match the Apache, PHP, MySQL and Perl versions as closely as possible.
The most important of those is probably the PHP version, as it is moving forward rapidly. The others come out with releases on a much slower cycle, and are also more resilient against version issues. It is NOT necessary to get an exact PHP match, usually only a revision match is necessary i.e PHP 5.1, 5.2 ,or 5.3 etc. the interim releases differences are usually tolerable.

Now, If you want help you have to be specific about what exact things are not working in YOUR case.

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby apaxi » 24. August 2011 12:55

hello JonB,

The "problems" that I was having before was a long time ago. All I can remember that it was probably something about the php setting of my web host that made the errors. After that experience I stayed away from developing sites on my desktop. I will probably look closely this time and do what you suggested and check the php versions and clone my web host with their setup. Again, thank you for all the suggestions :)
apaxi

Postby JonB » 24. August 2011 16:08

Good luck, apaxi

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby apaxi » 25. August 2011 07:31

Thanks! :mrgreen:
apaxi