Make XAMPP Public

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Make XAMPP Public

Postby blashmet » 19. August 2011 01:29

I want to make XAMPP public so people can visit my site when they type my public IP into their browser. I've read about this issue and have tried multiple fixes, but I still can't access my personal server from the internet. Here is some general info regarding my setup:

Windows Firewall: Disabled

XAMPP VERSION: 1.7.4

Linksys Router: Port 80 has been forwarded

When I type 192.168.1.1 OR localhost OR 127.0.0.1 OR [My Public IP] into my browser, I get the XAMPP server page as expected. However, when I try to visit the Public IP from outside my network, I get a Server Not Found page.

I suspect I need to edit a conf file, but haven't been able to find the correct settings.

So, what should I do next to make this server accessible by the public? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

:)
blashmet

Re: Make XAMPP Public

Postby Sharley » 19. August 2011 01:34

I think you should read this topic as the replies reflect the general opinion of most of the posters who help out in these XAMPP forums, including myself.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47930

However, when I try to visit the Public IP from outside my network
How do you know it is not accessible from outside your network - how did you test it?

Go here and enter your public IP then tick the boxes and see what you get returned, as this link will try and access your server from outside your network just as a member of the public would:
http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.aspx
Sometimes the above link is down so be patient with it as it is a sure way of testing your local server from the Internet - and do heed the warnings or your PC could end up being yet another Zombie for hackers to easily exploit and you wouldn't even know it was happening, (that is, until you get a knock on your door from the authorities).
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby blashmet » 19. August 2011 01:57

I tested it via the browser on my phone (definitely not on my network), and from a computer at my workplace.

The link you provided is handy, but I already know I can't access the XAMPP server from outside my network.

Security risks aside, I'd like to know how to set it up for public access.

Can you help me?
blashmet

Postby Sharley » 19. August 2011 02:05

Sorry, I can only help if you were having problems accessing from localhost, but clearly there is not an issue with that as you seem to know how to set up XAMPP locally.

You could try an advanced search of the XAMPP for Windows forum for a possible solution.
Also I have seen some promising results using Google, for instance, but your favorite Internet search engine may also be able to find a solution.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby JonB » 19. August 2011 15:56

AFAIK, that's normally the Router's address on a subnet AKA Gateway address. The fact you are getting your XAMPP page at that address means your network has a 'screwy' setup (not a default IP subnet). It may be multi-homed or have IGS enabled.

you SHOULD be getting your XAMPP page at a fixed IP in the proper range for your router's setup i.e. something like 192.168.1.4 or whatever. 'Public' forwarded servers won't work reliably with DHCP.

This is likely the source of your issues with outside access.

just my opinion

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby blashmet » 19. August 2011 18:47

Thanks for the reply Jon.

This is my mistake; I don't get the XAMPP page when I type 192.168.1.1 (this leads to my router's configuration page). Rather, 192.168.1.101 leads to the XAMPP page, as that is my computer/server's IP on the LAN.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
blashmet

Postby JonB » 19. August 2011 19:18

With a default XAMPP installation -

If you are listening on 80, not using Named Virtual Hosts, and your router is properly forwarding, when you enter your routers IP from outside your local net, you should (unless you changed it) hit the New XAMMP Security Concept 'wall". That's why they put that 'trap' in there - 'anti-noob' insurance policy. Not pretty, but somewhat functional

IF your machine is multi-homed, or you have set up virtual hosts, those could be issues also

Did you actually try that DomainDossier tool Ms. Sharley suggested?

If so, what happened on the Service Scan???

I have other IP/Domain tools I use, but that's a nice one to add..

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby blashmet » 21. August 2011 01:30

I got a big fat fail :)

Service scan

FTP - 21 Error: TimedOut
SMTP - 25 Error: TimedOut
HTTP - 80 Error: TimedOut
POP3 - 110 Error: TimedOut
IMAP - 143 Error: TimedOut
blashmet

Postby Sharley » 21. August 2011 03:24

blashmet wrote:I got a big fat fail
It is well known that some ISPs block web server and email server ports especially those ISPs who provide cable access but not limited to cable providers - they are trying to prevent spam and other undesirable web sites emanating from their servers which may put their IP blocks in to an IP black list.

Often they will unblock on a user by user basis (so they can keep an eye on use) and all it takes usually is a support request.

Some who don't actually block ports do limit throughput to help prevent some users from hogging all the resources.

A support request to your ISP for some insight on this blocking issue, if in fact they do block ports, may well help.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby sumitbadaya » 13. January 2013 18:42

hi sherly...
when i tried checking my ip address http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.aspx here
it returned with this error
"Could not find a domain name corresponding to this IP address."
sumitbadaya

Operating System: win 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows