Please help - what to change for max performance?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Please help - what to change for max performance?

Postby Jog » 11. August 2011 10:18

Hi,

As part of a website I'm creating I'm working with a large database (10GB in size) and have to do lots of processing/calculations on the records - very often updating all the records or copying them into a new table. I create php scripts to do all the database processing, which I run just via my browser. I've installed Xampp with the default settings it came with, not really knowing much about changing its settings.

I know a little bit about databases - e.g. primary keys, adding unique/index fields, and how to "normalize" the table. However my scripts have been taking a long time to run - often 2 or 3 days of continous running - and often I need to change the script and re-run things. Months seem to be passing by!

I'm using a laptop with a fast dual core processor and have recently upgraded a couple of things.

I've bought a 120GB SSD Drive - and while I've just installed it, early indications are that this is going to make a huge saving in time compared to my hdd (5400rpm). I've also switched to 8GB Ram (from 4GB) and switched to Windows 7 64-bit so that the extra RAM can be used (I was using Vista 32bit). Obviously if I had the budget I would have preferred something like a fast quad-core desktop.

Working on the databases is the sole use of the laptop and my only concern just now.

However while I can do php and design, I don't know much about optimising Xampp or my system to get the max performance out of it (though I read up on how to change the max_execution_time).

I would be enormously grateful if anyone can suggest ways to maximise Xampp / Apache / PHP / MySql performance - e.g. what settings I should change to ensure the processor spends most of its energy on the scripts, uses all of the RAM available (e.g. to store/cache tables in memory), etc.
Jog

Re: Please help - what to change for max performance?

Postby Sharley » 12. August 2011 04:38

Look in C:\xampp\mysql and you will find several my_*.ini files that can be renamed and copied into the bin folder replacing the my.ini already in there, which by the way is a copy of the my_small.ini file for low system PCs.

If you find the right one for your higher PC system components then this may go some way to improving the performance of MySQL.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Jog » 12. August 2011 13:51

Thanks Sharley - I didn't know alternative files existed. I will have a look at them, thanks.
Jog

Postby JonB » 12. August 2011 16:20

I can suggest a simple change that will affect one aspect of what you are doing -

turn on eAccelerator - it starts PHP byte-code caching. It won't help with the MySQL optimization, but it will speed-up considerably every PHP page-load you have. This is not speculation, I have done some benchmark testing; 30-40% improvement in pageload time speed without making any other changes. My testing was done with XAMPP 1.7.3 on Windows and a WordPress 3.2 CMS with no WP cache enhancement.

Its in the php.ini file.

Code: Select all
;zend_extension = "C:\xampp\php\ext\php_eaccelerator.dll"

uncomment that line, and restart XAMPP, eAccelerator will do all the work, including creating the temp folders for the cache.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Jog » 12. August 2011 19:45

Hi JonB,

I tried that thanks but it didn't work - the file doesn't exist in that location and a search turned up blank.

Is this something that you need to download and install seperately?

Thanks
Jog

Postby Sharley » 13. August 2011 00:29

Jog wrote:the file doesn't exist in that location and a search turned up blank.
Which version of XAMPP have you installed?
Version can be seen at the top of the \xampp\readme_en.txt file.

What location have you installed XAMPP?
Can be seen using Windows Explorer.

Your answers will tell us perhaps why you can't find the php_eaccelerator.dll file which, in a default installation, is in C:\xampp\php\ext folder - but alas in 1.7.4 version the file appears to be missing (1.7.3 was the last version it is included - 1.7.5 beta (VC9) also is missing this dll).

I found a php_eaccelerator.dll for 1.7.4 version's PHP 5.3.5 (VC6 X86 32bit):
(which also contains in the index other useful files like the php_apc.dll extension)
http://tanguy.tk/php/535_vc6/

Direct download link:
php_eaccelerator.535ts.vc6_x86.zip

These and other dlls can be found in this Apache Lounge Forum page 2 topic

Alternatively you may want to download and use version 1.7.3 from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP Windows
which has the eAccelerator.dll included.

The 1.7.5 beta versions are compiled with VC9 so the eAccelerator dll version is different again but I see this is also available from the above Apache Lounge Forum link and both are eAccelerator dlls are reported to be in a good working condition :)
Or you may download the VC9 compiled version direct from this file index link here:
http://tanguy.tk/php/536_vc9

The [eAccelerator] entries in the \xampp\php\php.ini file are way down near the end of the file at about line 1915 in XAMPP version 1.7.4.

Best wishes. :D
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows