XAmpp control panel runs without displaying the GUI

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAmpp control panel runs without displaying the GUI

Postby andrea.marchetti » 11. August 2011 12:02

Hi,

I was using XAMPP 1.7.3 on Windows 7 then I decided to update to 1.7.4.
I uninstalled XAMPP 1.7.3 by using its uninstaller and then I installed the new version.
The problem is that now xampp-control-panel starts but I doesn't display its GUI. :(

I checked my registry to look for some rubbish but I didn't find anything.

I would be very grateful if anyone can suggest any idea

Andrea
andrea.marchetti

Re: XAmpp control panel runs without displaying the GUI

Postby Sharley » 11. August 2011 23:52

Try this new version 3 CP:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46743

Download link also in my sig. but reading the topic helps understand what it is and how well it is being received by other members who are using it - much better than the released version in 1.7.4.

Make sure that your current CP is not running by right clicking on the task bar and select Task Manager>Processes and look for xampp-control.exe and if you find it then select to End Process, then answer Yes to the question.

Extract the xampp_control3.exe from the downloaded archive to the xampp installation folder (same place as the older version), then double click on it to use it instead of the release version.

You can then create a shortcut for it to a handy location (Desktop for example).
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby andrea.marchetti » 12. August 2011 15:17

Thank you Sharley

Unfortunately it doesn't work. I check always with task manager if the process xampp-control3.exe is running.
It's very unusual, I start CP, I can find it on the task manager but the GUI doesn't appear. My only explanation is that when I uninstalled the version 1.7.3 something has not been completed cleaned.

Andrea
andrea.marchetti

Postby JonB » 12. August 2011 16:49

I suspect its an issue with permissions (yes they exist on Windows also). I 'think' its hidden from the desktop and the system tray most likely because of ownership.

The Control Panel is a simple executable, and XAMMP is registry agnostic, so it CAN'T be your prior installation.

Services and executables can run based on the context of their installation. Their presentation layers may be inhibited from certain panes based on their permissions within the current context. I wish I had a better way to say it. :mrgreen:

Do you know how to enable the administrator account??? Doing so will allow you to actively login as the administrator. (in almost all cases the administrator account has EITHER a blank PW or the same PW as the first created user)

from the CMD prompt:
net user administrator /active:yes

BTW, you can also hover over the CMD line and press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to invoke the "Run as Administrator" shortcut.

In the Command Prompt window, type:

net user

Note how the Administrator account is there, yet the new user account has not been yet created.

To set the Administrator's account password:

net user *

Then enter the required password and confirm it.

To enable the Administrator's account:

net user administrator /active:yes

http://www.petri.co.il/enable-the-windo ... ccount.htm

Logout from current account, log in as Administrator.

now try starting xampp-control3.exe

If it works correctly as Administrator, the problem is with the permissions on the file.
While logged in as Administrator, locate xampp-control3.exe with Explorer, right-click, Properties and give your 'normal user' full rights to the file.

xammp-control3.exe is different than the rest of XAMPP in that it was NOT part of the installation process, and therefore was created in a different user context (most likely)

Good Luck
:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows