The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error

Postby goodbot » 08. August 2011 17:31

I've installed the xampp-win32-1.7.4-VC6-Installer.exe package (seemingly successfully) on my Win Vista64 OS. The Xampp Control Panel (XCP) window shows itself OK, and seems to work fine for all it's apps except Apache. Using the XCP, when I attempt to start Apache, it reports: "busy, Apache services started"... However, the main XCP window never displays the "Running" status on the Apache line, nothing is showing in my browsers at 127.0.0.1, and my system process list doesn't show any instances of httpd running.

I experimented with the "services" functionality: I selected the services option for Apache, recycled the XCP app, went into my Vista services window, found the tab/entry for the Apache 2.2 service (which was dormant... offering me only the "Start" option). I attempted to Start it... an error message quickly returned suggesting that I read more about it over in the system error log. There, the error message read:

"The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error 1 (0x1)."

Does anyone have any ideas what my challenge here might be?

(I'm simultaneously looking for the source code for this embedded Apache 2.2 version within the xampp-win32-1.7.4-VC6-Installer.exe package to determine what local settings of mine might cause the error 1.)

Any thoughts will be helpful of course. Thank you!
goodbot

Re: The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific e

Postby JonB » 08. August 2011 18:16

A. - there were problems with the Control Panel that shipped with version 1.7.4 It was a complete re-write. Nothing good to say on that.

B. - There is a new and greatly improved XAMMP Control Panel. read this topic and find the link to the latest update of XAMMP Control Panel 3.0
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46743

Give that a go, and see if it resolves your issues.

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby goodbot » 08. August 2011 18:57

Thanks for this heads-up JonB!

I'll spend some time on it... hopefully this new code might help me...

I'll keep you posted...
goodbot

Postby JonB » 08. August 2011 19:21

The Apache2.2 service terminated with service-specific error 1 (0x1)

This is a notorious Apache error - :shock:

look at the tail of your Apache error log to get the specific cause of this error.

As for why you (even when things are working right) can't 'see' httpd.exe - I think you need Process Explorer to see the dependency on service.exe (as i recall)

I also need to ask - where did you install XAMPP???

This is likely actually an httpd.exe execution fault on Windows. Could be some component is having a Data execution exception. (usually a process is trying to go to an invalid memory location)

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows