Newbie to XAMPP for Windows 1.2 - Troubles Fixed!!!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Newbie to XAMPP for Windows 1.2 - Troubles Fixed!!!

Postby mkormendy » 30. January 2004 17:47

After about 5 hours of reconfiguring my network protocols, (overwriting a corrupted TCP-IP protocol and the like) .. I finally managed to get my network problems fixed and my router is working great.

I will post my setup and all of my settings and what I did to reset my networking issues, after I have compiled all the data.

Thanks so much!!

:arrow: The Problem/Situation
http://localhost/ and http://127.0.0.1/ does not bring up any webpage to confirm that the server is running.

I've heard so many people had ease with finding this page, I however have not had any luck.

I followed exactly the default instructions to installing XAMPP.
(ie C:\xampp\ is the root)

:!: System Setup:
OS - WinXP Pro SP1
- Network Firewalls OFF
- Network Filtering OFF
- IIS 5 fully uninstalled
- Access to the web is fine (download & upload)
- Hosts File isn't blocking 127.0.0.1 or localhost
Router - LinkSys WRT54G (firmware ver 2.02.2)
- Firewall OFF
- Filtering OFF
- Ports 80, 110, 443, 21, and 20 forwarded and open
- DMZ OFF
Internet - DSL service (PPPoE) with a dynamic IP address.
Domain Name Redirection Service - dyndns.org

:?: My Questions
Can anyone diagnose what is wrong with my situation or comment on what I might do alternatively? (besides installing a *nix platform and learning Dutch/German)
AND
Is there an explicit English reference (and I don't mean broken English or website translated English from Dutch), to setting up XAMPP on systems that have this popular setup.

:roll: A Background:
It is very frustrating to see that tech support of any kind with XAMPP is almost non-existent for English Windows users.
I'm not flaming or bashing, only commenting that there are some serious translation improvements needed on this site ...
with that said ... I'm willing to create a nice English reference of my success in setting it up after some progress with my server.

I'm an aspiring developer, who is already quite confident in my design skills, and I'm quite adept at learning code quickly, and at understanding Dutch even less - if not at all.

When IIS 5.0 failed to produce results on even the simplest of web applications (ie. simple site counter) for my own hosted website (www.somethinginteractive.com), I decided that I would restart building my server with a different package altogether - that being the XAMPP I've heard so many good things about.

Thank you so much,
// Hopefull Michael
Last edited by mkormendy on 31. January 2004 16:15, edited 4 times in total.
mkormendy

Postby FOCP » 30. January 2004 19:14

What is your XAMPP directory?
What kind of other programs are up and running?
Can you see the cmd window echoing "Apache x.xx is starting"?
FOCP

XAMPP for Windows 1.2 Install Troubles Cont.d

Postby mkormendy » 30. January 2004 19:32

:arrow: My XAMPP Directory is C:\xampp\

:arrow: Programs running that might be an issue:
- Bulletproof FTP Server (port 21 - working fine)
- Direct Udpate (dynamic IP updater - updates via http, but doesn't lock down port 80 for itself)
- Mcaffee Antivirus (no firewall)

:arrow: CMD window left open says "Apache 2.0.48 is Starting..."
mkormendy

Postby FOCP » 31. January 2004 15:21

Hm,

sounds like everything would be fine.
I don't know whether it solves your problem or not - but have you tried to put some testfile like ...

Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>XAMPP TEST</title>
</head>

<body>

<h1>Some headline here</h1>

<p>Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning.</p>

<p>Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning. Some stupid paragraph containing text without any meaning.</p>

</body>
</html>

... to your [url]file:///c:/xammp/htdocs/[/url] directory (name it index.htm or index.html) and then calling it via http://127.0.0.1/index.htm
FOCP

FOCP Thanks!!!

Postby mkormendy » 31. January 2004 16:17

Hey I just wanted to thank you for helping me out, it was great that you were kind enough to at least respond, and I will give you the low down on what made it work and what didn't when I've compiled a nice document on it.

ONCE AGAIN .. THANKS!!!

// mike
mkormendy

Return to XAMPP for Windows