Enchant (Spellcheck extension)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Enchant (Spellcheck extension)

Postby LVrob » 29. July 2011 19:55

So, I don't see this extension anywhere and I would like to use it for my spell-checking. And I don't see any posts via the forum search addressing this issue. Supposedly it's "built-in" for PHP 5.3+, and I've got XAMPP for Windows with PHP 5.3.5, so what happened to the extension? I don't even see it as a disabled extension in the php.ini file (which it is there in a standard PHP build, just commented out).

Do I need to manually install this extension for my XAMPP server, or is it just hiding in some obscure directory? I've done a file search for php_enchant.dll, and came up NIL. If it needs to be installed, can someone provide step-by-step instructions for getting it downloaded, installed, & setup with a dictionary? TVM,

--Rob
LVrob

Re: Enchant (Spellcheck extension)

Postby JonB » 30. July 2011 23:44

. If it needs to be installed, can someone provide step-by-step instructions for getting it downloaded, installed, & setup with a dictionary?

probably not, as this is not the Enchant Friends Forum - we are here to support XAMMP as a suite. But if someone wants to, we do lots of 'other stuff' also.

However, I will try to answer your questions.

A.
I've got XAMPP for Windows with PHP 5.3.5, so what happened to the extension?

Lots of extensions are not part of every PHP distributions.

The DLL (where ever you found it) needs to be one that matches the compile type for the PHP you have. Since you appear to have XAMPP 1.7.4 that would be a VC6 compile.

My guess as to the reason it is not included is that it has a dependency on the Gnome Libraries (part of GTK) which don't come with XAMMP AFAIK.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/enchant.requirements.php

If it needs to be installed

It only 'needs' to be installed if you want to use it. Not meant as a wisecrack.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows