XAMPP and OSX authentication

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP and OSX authentication

Postby mygaccount » 22. May 2011 00:56

I have to type my password into a security box every time I start or stop any xampp service. Is there any way I can prevent this? I have already added XAMPP Control to my firewall list of exceptions. Thank you.
mygaccount

Re: XAMPP and OSX authentication

Postby vmorgan » 21. June 2011 23:51

I urgently need a solution to this problem as well.
-Victoria Morgan
vmorgan

Postby JonB » 10. July 2011 07:46

JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby UnnamedMook » 13. August 2011 06:40

This is not an issue with firewall configuration, nor is it related to the thread that JonB linked to. Under the UNIX system that forms the basis of Mac OS X, there is a hidden user called the superuser, or root user, who has unrestricted access to the computer. Users who are Administrators on a Mac can run tasks as the root user, but in order to do this, they must provide their password in the Mac OS security box (for instance, you often have to do this when running system updates or installing software).

Another thing about the UNIX system, and therefore Mac OS X, is that it impossible to bind to port 80, the port typically used by web servers, without being root. Therefore, XAMPP (or more specifically, the Apache web server that XAMPP uses) won't be able to run without root privileges.

So really, the only way around this is to run the XAMPP Control application itself as root. There's no way to make it automatically run as root, but you can try launching it as root using something like http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38617/launchasroot. Alternatively, you can use the command line, e.g. going to Terminal and typing:
Code: Select all
sudo "/Applications/XAMPP/XAMPP Control.app/Contents/MacOS/XAMPP Control"
Either way, you'll have to type in your password once, but after that you can start and stop the servers as much as you like without having to retype the password.
UnnamedMook

Postby JonB » 14. August 2011 22:06

@UnnamedMook -

Thanks for you post -

When I first read your post, I said to myself - "that's only true with SELinux". But I re-read it several times and thought about how my Linux servers (I have a Linux workstation that runs XAMPP/LAMPP, and a couple with traditional stacks) actually start up, "Hmmm". A little more thinking and checking, and I had to admit I had missed that salient fact (about root and port-binding) in many years of working with *nix boxes (many of which I built myself). And, viewing a Mac as a desktop Unix variant, it works just like my Linux desktop with XAMPP - I have to 'su' to start LAMPP.

Thanks again,
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for macOS