phpMyAdmin - MySQL Error - Cannot Connect: Invalid Settings

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpMyAdmin - MySQL Error - Cannot Connect: Invalid Settings

Postby terryl » 22. July 2008 17:18

I re-installed XAMPP and then made the mistake of going into phpMyAdmin privleges section to change the root password. Also by mistake I used a difference password to my original installation setup.

Now whenever I click on the phpMyAdmin link on the XAMPP welcome page all I can get is an Error Page which says "Cannot Connect: Invalid Settings"

Can anyone tell me how to correct this please?

Thanks,

Terry
terryl

Did you ever get a response to this, TerryL?

Postby msabol » 23. September 2008 20:11

I had the same exact thing happen to me and, unless I am not navigating this forum properly (which is highly possible) I don't see any responses posted on this board. If you have gotten one, or if you figured it out on your own, might you be able to post the solution?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help!
melissa
msabol

This is absolutely idiotic!!!!

Postby conticreative » 02. December 2008 21:44

The same thing just happened to me. I have been using WAMP for some time but it doesn't work on Vista. So I tried Xampp and I am actually impressed. It worked like a charm. Until I changed the root password. Since then, I restarted, reinstalled, etc. but I still get the same phpmyadmin message.

Now I remember that the same issue happened to me with WAMP but I was able to fix it with a reinstall one and the last time with a simple change in the command line.

In xampp I can;t find the command line (I will, just haven't looked) .

What I find completely idiotic is that this happens all the time and the fix, or an alert on how to change the password, should be in the FAQ in bold letters. No one wants to see a security message so the first thing you do is change the password. Except that once you do you are screwed and cannot login anymore. If this isn'

t moronic I don;t know what is.It's not just a matter of inexperienced users, you can bet I won't make that mistake again, but it's a matter of the interface being intuitive. The PMA interface is not in that regard. Simple as that. Apache friends should 1) respond to the many messages like this one and post a fix and/or guidelines once and for all, b) there should be an "How to set up phpmyadmin help file right on the page or in xampp homepage. Too many newbies make this mistake and spend an afternoon fixing it.

Done.
-- Marco Conti
Main Rig:
Windows 7
8GB RAM
4TB Hard drive (total)
PHP on Apache 5.2.9
conticreative

Re: phpMyAdmin - MySQL Error - Cannot Connect: Invalid Settings

Postby paddyponchero » 21. December 2008 13:24

If you change the root password it's simple to fix phpymyadmin

Go to the xampp / wamp directory then into the phpmyadmin directory open config.inc.php

find $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
add your password $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'password';

you're done
paddyponchero

Postby Vanoj » 13. January 2009 18:38

paddyponchero wrote:If you change the root password it's simple to fix phpymyadmin

Go to the xampp / wamp directory then into the phpmyadmin directory open config.inc.php

you're done

Brilliant! Thanks for the tip!
Vanoj

Postby Izzy » 14. January 2009 00:51

Vanoj wrote:
paddyponchero wrote:If you change the root password it's simple to fix phpymyadmin

you're done

Brilliant! Thanks for the tip!

This only applies if you use config authentication and may give errors if cookie or http is selected as the auth method - cookie is set by default.
Code: Select all
/**
 * Authentication method (valid choices: config, http, signon or cookie)
 * @global string $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']
 */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';

Code: Select all
/**
 * MySQL password (only needed with 'config' auth_type)
 * @global string $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']
 */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
Izzy

Postby kourosh » 21. June 2009 04:08

you're done

Thanks! you are life saver.
kourosh

Postby sully210 » 13. July 2010 13:45

This isn't working for me! I have a a php script file called config.inc and a SAFE file called config.inc.php and I have changed the settings in both to reflect the password but I still cannot get in??? Here is what my code looks like:

/* Authentication type and info */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'password';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;

/* Server parameters */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = false;

I tried changing the auth type to config and that did not work either. What am I doing wrong?
sully210

Postby Tonk » 13. July 2010 19:48

I incidentaly changes the root password of my database.
Not I can not connect any more.

Also I forgot the password, because every pw i try is wrong.....

Errors:
Error establishing a database connection (when trying to connect to a (local) website)

phpMyAdmin probeerde met de MySQL server te verbinden maar de server weigerde de verbinding. Controleer de machine, de gebruikersnaam en het wachtwoord in config.inc.php en zorg er voor dat deze overeenkomen met de informatie die u van de Beheerder van de MySQL server kreeg.

How to reset the password in the MySql datbase?
Or
How to delete the password?

I am using Xammp on a local pc with WinXP sp3
Tonk

Postby qozmiq » 21. July 2010 19:04

I was just about to transfer my site from localhost to live server, and I went to phpmyadmin to take a look around, and it warned me that the root user to my DB had no password, and that I should set one immediately. I did, and now I can access like everyone else. Will this edit work if you want no password at all? I am clueless as to what to do.
qozmiq

Re: phpMyAdmin - MySQL Error - Cannot Connect: Invalid Setti

Postby tcal » 02. July 2011 19:30

Hi -

I have the same error happening where I cannot login. this is after I had set the user and password - and I had on a previous day been using xampp and phpmyadmin. Has anyone found a solution to this yet? In the config.inc.php file, I had my auth_type set to 'cookie' and have tried changing it to http and config. Nothing works. Now the app is constantly prompting me for login no matter what I enter.

I have tried the resetroot.bat file in the mysql directory and it makes no difference. After I did this, on the xampp security page - it shows " The MySQL admin user root has no longer no password" which should not be happening since resetroot.bat should have cleared the password. ???? This is frustrating! :evil: What the hell happened to cause this. ....while I would like to know to avoid it in the future, what I would really like is to get it working again.
tcal

Postby JonB » 04. July 2011 20:07

Start by trying the MySQL monitor

c:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql.exe -u 'root'

see if you are prompted for a password...

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby peterhent » 30. September 2011 02:20

Try deleting your cache/cookies. It worked like a charm for me.
peterhent

Return to XAMPP for Windows