Relocating MySQL (to a dropbox location)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Relocating MySQL (to a dropbox location)

Postby giles100 » 23. June 2011 23:29

Dear all,

Years ago I started to organise my study in a central repository inside a much earlier xampp. After a while I moved the whole thing to a USB stick for portability (which in itself was pretty neat). Recently I tried moving it to a DropBox location (giving me the ability to run it as normal from my machines, but also access the data from my mobile devices which is just blooming fantastic!!!!!). I achieved this by installing xampp on my pc's but locating htdocs on DropBox and editing httpd.conf on each machine to point to this location ... Easy

So now I'd like to try the same with MySQL, however this seems a little more complex to achieve by virtue of the fact that all configs to MySQL appear to live within the MySQL directory itself ... how do I relocate the directory if all the config live inside the directory i'm trying to move? I must be missing something

Id appreciate your thoughts
Thanks in advance
giles100

Re: Relocating MySQL (to a dropbox location)

Postby JonB » 24. June 2011 00:00

Ok -

At the risk of being negative, I'll preface this with 'it wasn't really made to work that way, and therefore you may or may not get the results you expect'.

Go into the mysql/bin folder and look at the configuration file 'my.ini', that's its name in XAMPP, but the parameters are the same as the standard MySQl 'my.cnf' file.

Then I gotta say -- you are 100% on your own here --

Good Luck
8)

Dropbox - Now, that might be the most banal promo I have seen in a long time :shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby giles100 » 24. June 2011 00:15

Why banal? I think you miss the point
giles100

Postby JonB » 24. June 2011 00:45

giles100 wrote:Why banal?

I shoulda also said condescending, pedantic, insipid, shallow and trite as well.

"Let's meet Josh"

"As it turned out, Josh's safari was a great success and his laptop made it home with lots of videos and photos for sharing"

let us ask - exactly what was the intellectual and emotional level they aimed that at??

I wouldn't talk to a fifth grader like that nowadays - tooooo condescending.

"now children, lets all go see Mr. Happy Face for some nice ice cream -- and then we can share the pictures with all our friends on Dropbox" (childreb cheering - Yaaay! Ice Cream...)

its about at the Mr. Rogers Neighborhood level IMO (shows my age, eh??

On second thought I get it - its for iPhone users...

AND its food for my FB feed.

it may be a great service - I'm only commenting on their 'front and center' marketing video - Insulting, right down to the tone of voice.
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby giles100 » 24. June 2011 01:10

Oh come on!
- You are far too intelligent to get wound up by that arnt you?

- I'm using it as a way of studying to bring counselling services online for depressed people who need help. What matters to me is that they offer a service that helps me, and that there are people like you out there to help me, as I in turn help others. Sure it's it's front end ma offend, but for me it's helped increase my productivity loads. I'm grateful to them for that.
giles100

Postby JonB » 24. June 2011 01:26

I did say it might be a great service. I have not used it as I have a different, but similar in function, 'cloud' service I use.

I said 'banal' originally, but re-watching to capture the reasons why I found it that way it a few times pushed me into overload. Of course, maybe I am easily wound up too :lol:

If you make it work, be sure to post how you did it.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby giles100 » 24. June 2011 01:40

Yeah, I know the feeling.

I will.

I picked up a comment ... I'm going to try taking my "working" machine offline during the session, effectly locking it from change from the outside world (???) then closing xampp, then enabling DB. It might seem a little long winded but at least I can keep all my data in one place, with a consistent set of relative hyperlinks (which I use for study purposes) while sharing this over a number of machines on different locations.

I'll post back here when I get kore time to try it out.

Best
G
giles100

Return to XAMPP for Windows