Difficulty with new XAMPP install on Win7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Difficulty with new XAMPP install on Win7

Postby tryin_to_learn » 23. June 2011 15:28

I've used XAMPP on XP, Vista and Mac and haven't had many problems. However, I just installed the newest version on a new Win7 machine and can't get it to work. I used the installer and accepted all defaults - installed Apache, MySQL and FileZilla as services. The program was installed on the C drive. When I use a web browser and go to http://localhost/xampp/, it says that XAMPP was installed successfully. When I click "Status", it says the MySQL database is deactivated. I also cannot access phpmyadmin - get the "Cannot load mysql extension." message.

When I first try to open the XAMPP control panel, I get this error message:

XAMPP Component Status Check failure [3].
Current directory: (C)
Run this program only from your XAMPP root directory.

If I click ok, it then shows my XAMPP control panel with both the MySQL and the Apache services (but not FileZilla) running. However, when I try to use my web browser to work on one of my sites, it just shows a blank page. View Source is also blank.

Help?
tryin_to_learn

Re: Difficulty with new XAMPP install on Win7

Postby JonB » 23. June 2011 17:41

A. did you install XAMPP in the root of C:\ without a folder? - so that the C: root contains folders like \apache, \mysql \phpmyadmin and so forth???

or is XAMPP installed in C:\ampp???

B. Has there ever been a prior MySQL install on this machine??

C. phpmyadmin won't run becasue MySQL is not set up and working - thus the "Cannot load mysql extension" error.

Try uninstalling the services and see if MySQL and Apache run right as executables.

Synopsis - the underlying problem is really how MySQL was installed - it won't run likely because soem part of the my.ini is invalid.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby tryin_to_learn » 23. June 2011 17:58

All the folders are in C:\XAMPP. This is a brand new machine so there's never been a previous anything installed.
tryin_to_learn

Postby JonB » 23. June 2011 22:10

did you try this item?

Try uninstalling the services and see if MySQL and Apache run right as executables

:?:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby tryin_to_learn » 23. June 2011 22:27

JonB wrote:did you try this item?

Try uninstalling the services and see if MySQL and Apache run right as executables

I've tried it but haven't been able to test it yet. I'm technically "at work" :D Will check it later tonight and let you know if that worked.
tryin_to_learn

Postby tryin_to_learn » 24. June 2011 16:44

JonB wrote:did you try this item?

I've finally been able to test this and I get the same error message:

XAMPP Component Status Check failure [3].
Current directory: (C)
Run this program only from your XAMPP root directory.

I'm wondering if this could be the problem: I had a Vista machine before this one. When I got the Win 7 machine, I did the "Easy Transfer" thing to transfer my files, settings, etc. Could it have something to do with that? Both the Vista and the Win 7 versions were installed directly in the C drive - neither is in Program Files or anywhere else.

Any other ideas about how to fix this?
tryin_to_learn

Postby Sharley » 25. June 2011 01:17

Try downloading and installing the new version 3 XAMPP Control Panel from here:
http://arloh.de/xampp/xampp_control3.0.2.zip
Topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46743

Simply create a shortcut on your Desktop for easy access and use v3 instead of the XCP included in the release.
This version has been know to fix the status check error.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby tryin_to_learn » 25. June 2011 03:23

Thanks for the tip. It's good to know others have had similar problems. I downloaded the zip of the new Control Panel and extracted it in my C:/XAMPP folder. Double-clicked the .exe and get these messages:

10:13:07 PM [main] Running as admin - good!
10:13:07 PM [main] Working with basedir: "c:\xampp\xampp_control3.0.2\"
10:13:08 PM [main] Initializing moduls
10:13:08 PM [apache] Possible problem detected: file "c:\xampp\xampp_control3.0.2\apache\bin\httpd.exe" not found - run this program from your XAMPP root directory!
10:13:08 PM [mysql] Possible problem detected: file "c:\xampp\xampp_control3.0.2\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe" not found - run this program from your XAMPP root directory!
10:13:08 PM [filezilla] Possible problem detected: file "c:\xampp\xampp_control3.0.2\FileZillaFTP\FileZillaServer.exe" not found - run this program from your XAMPP root directory!
10:13:08 PM [mercury] Possible problem detected: file "c:\xampp\xampp_control3.0.2\MercuryMail\mercury.exe" not found - run this program from your XAMPP root directory!
10:13:08 PM [tomcat] Possible problem detected: file "c:\xampp\xampp_control3.0.2\tomcat\bin\tomcat6.exe/c:\xampp\xampp_control3.0.2\tomcat\bin\tomcat7.exe" not found - run this program from your XAMPP root directory!
10:13:08 PM [main] Starting check-timer

I'm not sure what to make of this. The xampp_control3.0.2 folder I downloaded doesn't have apache, mysql, FileZillaFTP, etc. folders in it so it's not surprising that it's not finding them. Am I supposed to take the files in the xampp_control3.0.2 folder out of that folder and put them directly into the xampp folder? I was going to do that, but if I do, it will overwrite a lot of stuff that's already there in the src folder. Is that what I'm supposed to do?

I should add that I went ahead and tried starting the services and it seems to do fine:

10:23:37 PM [apache] Starting apache service...
10:23:41 PM [mysql] Starting mysql service...
10:23:41 PM [apache] Status change detected: running
10:23:41 PM [mysql] Status change detected: running
10:23:45 PM [filezilla] Starting FileZilla service...
10:23:45 PM [filezilla] Status change detected: running

I'm having some unexplained errors in my site that I don't have on other computers, though. I'm not sure if those problems are related to this XAMPP issue or not.
tryin_to_learn

Postby Sharley » 25. June 2011 03:30

No, simply extract the exe file xampp_control3.exe to your C:\xampp folder then run it - no need to extract the source files unless, that is, you want to do your own compile of this control panel, the source code is included for those who wish to customize the Control Panel for their own needs.
The included source files are not required to run the Control Panel.

Let me know back if there are any issues with the above.

I'm having some unexplained errors in my site that I don't have on other computers, though. I'm not sure if those problems are related to this XAMPP issue or not.
I may be able to help with your other XAMPP issues if you can tell me what they are.

Read the C:\xampp\apache\logs\error.log file at about the date and time you get these issues for any clues, then paste them here so they can be looked at - and or paste any other error messages you might encounter.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby tryin_to_learn » 25. June 2011 13:39

Thanks for the tips! My question about this error is that when I use the same tool on the app I'm building on my Vista machine, which has XAMPP 1.6.8 or on my Mac, which has XAMPP for Mac (don't remember the version), I don't get the errors. On my Win 7 machine, with XAMPP, 1.7.4, I get errors. So is it a difference in the XAMPP version? Something wrong with my XAMPP install? Something else? If it's a bug in our program, why is it only showing up on this machine?

Here's what the Apache error log on the Win 7 machine says:

[Sat Jun 25 08:23:58 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Strict Standards: Non-static method DB::fetch_accoc_unique() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\__ShrinkOffice\\libs\\Lookup\\LookupTypes.class.php on line 101, referer: http://localhost/__ShrinkOffice/clients.php
[Sat Jun 25 08:23:58 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Strict Standards: Non-static method DB::fetch_accoc_unique() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\__ShrinkOffice\\libs\\Lookup\\LookupTypes.class.php on line 101, referer: http://localhost/__ShrinkOffice/clients.php
[Sat Jun 25 08:24:00 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Strict Standards: Non-static method DB::fetch_accoc_unique() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\__ShrinkOffice\\libs\\Lookup\\LookupTypes.class.php on line 101, referer: http://localhost/__ShrinkOffice/clients.php
[Sat Jun 25 08:24:00 2011] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] PHP Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in C:\\xampp\\htdocs\\__ShrinkOffice\\libs\\DB.core.php on line 812, referer: http://localhost/__ShrinkOffice/clients.php

And here's the message I got on the app I was testing - I guess they say pretty much the same thing:

Error: server returns invalid response: [<br />
<b>Strict Standards</b>: Non-static method DB::fetch_accoc_unique() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in <b>C:\xampp\htdocs\__ShrinkOffice\libs\Lookup\LookupTypes.class.php</b> on line <b>101</b><br />
<br />
<b>Strict Standards</b>: Only variables should be assigned by reference in <b>C:\xampp\htdocs\__ShrinkOffice\libs\DB.core.php</b> on line <b>812</b><br />
{type:"FamilyMem","clientID":"13","personID":"22","relationshipCode":"32","memberStatus":"1","memberNotes":"","id":"22","typeCode":"23","firstName":"Ernest","middleName":"W","lastName":"Moore","namePrefix":"","nameSuffix":"","credentials":"","gender":"M","birthDate":"12\/07\/1907","occupation":"","employer":"","m_status":"","e_status":"","pha_line1":"","pha_line2":"","pha_city":"","pha_state":"","pha_postalCode":"","phone1":"","phone2":"","phone3":"","phone4":"","pht1":"","pht2":"","pht3":"","pht4":"","email1":"","email2":"","ssn":"","ecfirstName":"","eclastName":"","ecphone1":"","ecphone2":"","ecpht1":"","ecpht2":"","creationDate":"2010-11-11 13:44:17","updateDate":"2011-06-21 18:31:45","owner":"1","relationshipText":"Parent"}]
tryin_to_learn

Postby Sharley » 26. June 2011 04:20

My pet hate is having to horizontally scroll a forum post, so please do try and use the forum Code or Quote tags when posting from a log, configuration, html or .ini files to make it easy for us to read.
Thanks.

Since your older XAMPP versions and the latest 1.7.4 version there have been many changes both to PHP and MySQL.

So perhaps the issue is your script is not, at present, compatible with the components of 1.7.4 and the component versions can be seen in the readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder.

Check with the script's author and try and establish if the script is compatible with those versions of PHP and MySQL 1.7.4 and if there is an updated version available.

If there is no joy there then it may require you to uninstall 1.7.4 and install a known working version of XAMPP that can be downloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP Windows/

Follow the XAMPP uninstall part in this link to make sure that it is done properly:
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699

Try again with a known working version then it may be possible to establish a setting in 1.7.4 that will allow it's use instead.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby tryin_to_learn » 26. June 2011 13:42

Sharley wrote:My pet hate is having to horizontally scroll a forum post, so please do try and use the forum Code or Quote tags when posting from a log, configuration, html or .ini files to make it easy for us to read.
Thanks.

Since your older XAMPP versions and the latest 1.7.4 version there have been many changes both to PHP and MySQL.

So perhaps the issue is your script is not, at present, compatible with the components of 1.7.4 and the component versions can be seen in the readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder.

Check with the script's author and try and establish if the script is compatible with those versions of PHP and MySQL 1.7.4 and if there is an updated version available.

If there is no joy there then it may require you to uninstall 1.7.4 and install a known working version of XAMPP that can be downloaded from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP Windows/

Follow the XAMPP uninstall part in this link to make sure that it is done properly:
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699

Try again with a known working version then it may be possible to establish a setting in 1.7.4 that will allow it's use instead.

Thanks so much - I hadn't thought of that and that's a definite possibility. I can troubleshoot it by uninstalling and reinstalling and older version. If that works, then I'll know it's a script thing and will check with the back-end folks. I really appreciate your help - and sorry for the horizontal scroll. :(
tryin_to_learn

Postby tryin_to_learn » 26. June 2011 16:12

Ok, fixed! However, I still had to do some digging so for anyone who might be following this, here's what happened:

I did the reinstall like you suggested - took everything off of my Win 7 machine. Then installed XAMPP 1.6.8 because that's the version I have on my Vista machine that's working with this same site. I didn't get install errors this time but my site still threw the same errors. I checked the Apache log file and it looks fine (with quotes :wink: ):

[Sun Jun 26 10:23:48 2011] [notice] Apache/2.2.9 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8i mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.2.6 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sun Jun 26 10:23:48 2011] [notice] Server built: Jun 14 2008 19:02:12
[Sun Jun 26 10:23:48 2011] [notice] Parent: Created child process 4524
[Sun Jun 26 10:23:49 2011] [notice] Child 4524: Child process is running
[Sun Jun 26 10:23:49 2011] [notice] Child 4524: Acquired the start mutex.
[Sun Jun 26 10:23:49 2011] [notice] Child 4524: Starting 250 worker threads.
[Sun Jun 26 10:23:49 2011] [notice] Child 4524: Starting thread to listen on port 443.
[Sun Jun 26 10:23:49 2011] [notice] Child 4524: Starting thread to listen on port 80.

But the error messages I got from the site were the same:

Error: server returns invalid response: ERROR: There is no 'doctype'@'localhost' registered IN QUERY SELECT ``.`id`,``.`providerID`,``.`procedureStatus`,``.`code`,``.`codeType`,``.`default_fee`,``.`default_duration`,``.`units`,``.`code_text_short`,`code_text` FROM providerprocedureview WHERE `providerID`='1' AND `procedureStatus`='1' ORDER BY `code`

I decided to compare phpMyAdmin on my Vista (old, but working) machine to phpMyAdmin on my new machine. The Vista machine had a user there called doctype. I made a new user called doctype on my Win7 machine and that fixed it. I had tried making other users on Win 7 and putting them in my config file but there must be something buried a little deeper in that file that specifically needs a user called doctype. Whew! At least it's fixed now. Thanks so much for all your help.
tryin_to_learn

Return to XAMPP for Windows