MySQL won't start - 1.7.4

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL won't start - 1.7.4

Postby jgillett » 06. June 2011 22:25

Win 7 x64, 8GB. Installed in c:\xampp.

Quick background - as a profession, over 46 years in computer service, support, and training, with the past 19 years as a web developer. However, this stuff is new to me, as in the past my servers have always been managed by 'the server guys'.

I had 1.7.3 running OK. Decided to upgrade to 1.7.4. Now the MySQL service will not start at all (Apache does run). mysql_error.log shows...

110605 19:06:05 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use Windows interlocked functions
InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3
110605 19:06:05 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 16.0M
110605 19:06:05 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
110605 19:06:08 InnoDB: highest supported file format is Barracuda.
InnoDB: 127 rollback segment(s) active.
110605 19:06:09 InnoDB: 1.1.4 started; log sequence number 46429
110605 19:06:09 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Incorrect key file for table 'user'; try to repair it

When trying to start MySQL the CP shows...

ERROR: Status check failure [3]
This program must be run from your XAMPP root directory.

Which program must be run from there?

Before 1.7.4 I uninstalled 1.7.3 using the XAMPP uninstaller, and had it save htdocs and mysql/data. Then I installed 1.7.4 to find the above failures.

Quick assistance needed - and appreciated - as I'm running out of time to complete some on-line training that requires MySQL to work.

Thank you!
jgillett

Re: MySQL won't start - 1.7.4

Postby Sharley » 07. June 2011 05:37

When trying to start MySQL the CP shows...
ERROR: Status check failure [3]
This program must be run from your XAMPP root directory.
This has been well and truly covered before and this topic holds several remedies for the error message:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44320
Also you could use the new version of the control panel found in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=180145#p180145

If you copied over the \xampp\mysql\data folder in total and replaced the one in 1.7.4 then this may well be the cause of the error as you should only have copied over your own database folder(s) not the mysql installation database folders.

First try and move out of the \xampp\mysql\data folder the data folder(s) you copied over from 1.7.3 leaving only the default databases (folders) that were present after installing 1.7.4 and then try and start MySQL again - this testing should always be carried out after an XAMPP installation to test that the installation itself has no issues.

Then, if the installation has no issues you can try adding your own files and folders again and restarting MySQL after each addition to pinpoint which addition may be the culprit of the error message - you should only copy over your own databases not any of the 1.7.3 installation databases.

The default database folders in \xampp\mysql\data\ after a successful 1.7.4 installation should be as follows:
cdcol
mysql
performance_schema
phpmyadmin
test
webauth

Your database folders will have the name you assigned to them when you created your databases.

You may have to reinstall 1.7.4 if you still have problems but save only your own database folders and any files and folder from the htdocs folder and then follow these instructions for an alternative method:
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699
If you don't want to do a full installation again then you could download the ZIP version and extract only the database folders from the \xampp\mysql\data folder in the archive to the corresponding folder in your 1.7.4 installation and then add your own database folders and try again to start MySQL.

You may still have to recreate users and passwords for your own databases if the copy over of your own database folders was successful.

Do you still have your own 1.7.3 files and folders backed up?
No?
I bet you will in future. ;)
Yes?
Then no problems. :)

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby jgillett » 07. June 2011 15:54

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will get on this immediately.
jgillett

Postby jgillett » 09. June 2011 05:26

Sharley,

Another clean install, followed by adding the new CP, and MySQL finally started. Then added back the DBs I had created under 1.7.3 one at a time, restarting MySQL each time. No failures. All appears to be running as advertised. With the exception of the new CP, this is exactly what I had tried before posting my original message. No idea why it didn't work the first time. I like the additional PEAR packages now included - no more (at least a lot fewer) manual installs.

Thanks again!
jgillett

Postby JonB » 13. June 2011 00:44

Off topic - BUT - Nice Site! (a Weather Underground fan)

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby jgillett » 13. June 2011 01:52

Thanks, Jon. Compliment most appreciated.

Please feel free to visit any time! :D

Have just started looking at your guide site. Will definitely be using it!
jgillett

Return to XAMPP for Windows