Having problem on configuration of Xampp in my Mac

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Having problem on configuration of Xampp in my Mac

Postby Westy » 22. November 2010 07:50

Hello my Friend out there.
Can anyone advised me on what to do. I just install fresh Xampp in my Mac machine, the local host is running and after starting all the program Aparche, MySQl and PHP, my local host (http://localhost/xampp) displays the Xampp page, but I am trying to install Joomla template to use and was not going through, it was not displaying in my browser, I have already downloaded Joomla (Joomla_1.6-Beta13-Full_Package.zip), I have pasted it in my Application/Xampp/htdocs/ - unzipped it and i have rename it to (westsite1).

But to my greatest surprised, the template did not display, there I cannot install the joomla template.
When i go to my browser and typed (localhost/westsite1), it give me error below:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
localhost
Mon Nov 22 05:47:55 2010
Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l PHP/5.3.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please can anyone help me and tell me what to do, or am I doing something wrong?, cos am new to using xampp and joomla on Mac.
Thanks and God richly bless you all as you put me through, and also new to this forum.
Westy

Re: Having problem on configuration of Xampp in my Mac

Postby Nobbie » 22. November 2010 09:28

Die Fehlermeldung bedeutet, dass Apache die Joomla Dateien (und ggf. auch den Ordner) nicht lesen kann. Du mußt die Dateiberechtigungen so setzen, dass der Apache User (wahrscheinlich nobody) alles lesen darf.
Nobbie

Postby Westy » 22. November 2010 09:54

Please can you tell me how reset the permission. Or is it the joomla I download that is not good?
Please advised accordingly with the steps to take when installing joomla on mac and configuring xampp on mac machine.

Thanks
Samuel
Westy

Postby Nobbie » 22. November 2010 18:51

Westy wrote:Please can you tell me how reset the permission.

Das ist Basiswissen für Apple OSX, hat mit Joomla und Apache/Xampp nichts zu tun. Das solltest Du in einem Apple OSX Forum fragen.
Nobbie

Postby crazy_bolo » 06. June 2011 16:38

Westy wrote:Hello my Friend out there.
Can anyone advised me on what to do. I just install fresh Xampp in my Mac machine, the local host is running and after starting all the program Aparche, MySQl and PHP, my local host (http://localhost/xampp) displays the Xampp page, but I am trying to install Joomla template to use and was not going through, it was not displaying in my browser, I have already downloaded Joomla (Joomla_1.6-Beta13-Full_Package.zip), I have pasted it in my Application/Xampp/htdocs/ - unzipped it and i have rename it to (westsite1).

But to my greatest surprised, the template did not display, there I cannot install the joomla template.
When i go to my browser and typed (localhost/westsite1), it give me error below:
Access forbidden!
You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
localhost
Mon Nov 22 05:47:55 2010
Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l PHP/5.3.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1

Please can anyone help me and tell me what to do, or am I doing something wrong?, cos am new to using xampp and joomla on Mac.
Thanks and God richly bless you all as you put me through, and also new to this forum.

What you need is to put your website root folder somewhere else, not in the httpdocs. Basically what happened is this, after you executed security commands localhost is locked but you can access http://localhost/phpmyadmin/ for mysql db management. So no, your websites will not work there. Trust me i know.
crazy_bolo

Postby RobertNesta » 02. October 2011 13:53

So no, your websites will not work there.

The exact info I was looking for and what I was afraid of - thanks
---/
http://BrickellLegal.com
RobertNesta

Postby Radostus » 02. October 2011 14:30

But I belive it is not completely correct.
You wrote you have unzipped Joomla to /Applications/XAMPP/htdocs, but this is an Alias that leads to /Applications/XAMPP/xammpfiles/htdocs.
IMHO you should be able to install Joomla by calling localhost/westsite1 because you should be redirected to localhost/westside1/installation where the installscript is placed.
After you have reached the point of accessing the installationpage of joomla there is less help from this forum because then it is a joomla-issue and not a xampp-issue anymore.
Nevertheless I use both and may be able to help you if problems occur.
Check if westsite1 is stored in xamppfiles/htdocs or not, if not move it there.
This could have been it, but if it is stored in the right place the error is elsewhere maybe in the file/folderpermissions.
Lebe lange und möge es Dir gut ergehen
(Live long and prosper)

Radostus von Bokelhausen
Radostus

Return to XAMPP for macOS