how to run php3 on XAMPP 1.7.4????

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

how to run php3 on XAMPP 1.7.4????

Postby kheme » 06. June 2011 00:02

I have this project i've been working on for months now. script was coded in php3 from 2003 (still uses php_track_vars). my xampp is version 1.7.4 running php5, so the codes from this script won't work without errors on my localhost. hence, all my work has to be done 'online' and that sucks a looot!

does anyone know how i can have php3 work with my php5?? there has to be a way cos the website is being hosted by godaddy and the host runs php5. so if they can do it, i should be able to do so... any ideas???
kheme

Re: how to run php3 on XAMPP 1.7.4????

Postby Sharley » 06. June 2011 02:15

I had an account with GoDaddy until my patience ran out with their querky implementation of what they assume was a faultless hosting environment, which was full of commercial mine fields to navigate through to avoid paying for a service or product you did not even know you were ordering or even require, that's apart from the time it took to use their sexist web site.

Anyway they had a php.ini file placed in my web root that the only differences I could find from those in the \xampp\php\php.ini file apart from paths were as follows
Code: Select all
register_globals = on
register_long_arrays = on
expose_php = off
variables_order = "EGPCS"
So if you find the above in your 1.7.4 php.ini file and change them to read as above, then save the file and restart Apache and see if that helps - remember to make a backup copy of the original php.ini file before editing the contents.

If the above don't help then revert to the original php.ini file and once again restart Apache.

BTW Apache in XAMPP is compiled with php as a module which is different to GoDaddy's servers and is why you can't add a php.ini file to your own XAMPP root web folder but you can edit the main server php.ini file as stated above.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: how to run php3 on XAMPP 1.7.4????

Postby kheme » 06. June 2011 08:06

WOW! it worked! mehn, thanks a loooooot! :-)
kheme

Return to XAMPP for Windows