Xampp in Windows 7 - over 10 million page faults per hour

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Xampp in Windows 7 - over 10 million page faults per hour

Postby tomfumb » 20. May 2011 01:49

The title says it all really, I'm running Xampp 1.7.3 (with Apache and MySQL services started) on 32-bit Windows 7 Professional

After 6 hours of running the task manager shows that Xampp has generated 86,000,000 page faults.

Does anyone know what's going wrong here?

* EDIT: I should also say this is just on a development machine where I am the only user through localhost.
tomfumb

Re: Xampp in Windows 7 - over 10 million page faults per hou

Postby drcarl » 22. May 2011 01:54

I am getting about 60 million page faults per hour. Windows7 x64, XAMPP, local server to develop a site (Dreamweaver, Wordpress + a theme).

I wish I hadn't peeked.

I saw some Windows gadgets high on the list and shut them down.

Actually, I wonder how "bad" this really is? My Top Offenders are:

xampp-control
SearchIndexer
explorer.exe
MsMpEng
chrome.exe*32
chrome.exe*32
OUTLOOK
csrss
svchost
chrome.exe*32

The entire list is of about 100-125 processes
drcarl

Postby tomfumb » 22. May 2011 03:19

I'm not exactly an expert on page faults or memory use in general, but I understand this means the operating system has had to go to virtual memory (pagefile) to retrieve data that wasn't found in real memory. While this doesn't sound like a big issue I'm unsure why a bunch of programs (but especially xampp) would be using virtual memory when task manager says I still have ~ 1 gig of my laptop's 3.5 available. As I only have the one disk this has got to be impacting performance across the machine.
tomfumb

Postby Sharley » 22. May 2011 03:56

Windows controls how it uses memory not individual programs.

Off topic in these forums but in Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings there are tabs and check boxes for customizing Memory use - check with a Windows forum how to manipulate this feature.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby tomfumb » 25. May 2011 02:02

I'm aware that Windows controls memory usage. However I don't see why, all things being equal, Windows would 'manage' Xampp's memory in such a way that it generates over 40x as many page faults as the nearest contender, and several 100x more than the average.

Also, the Windows settings you mention control how much disk space is available for virtual memory - which is presumably irrelevant until all physical memory has been allocated and in this case it hasn't.
tomfumb

Postby drcarl » 25. May 2011 03:48

tomfumb wrote:...presumably irrelevant until all physical memory has been allocated and in this case it hasn't.

I designed a new machine, have 6 GB of memory and have never had that much in use.
(That's why I installed so much - lol)
drcarl

Postby JonB » 26. June 2011 16:33

A page fault is a trap to the software raised by the hardware when a program accesses a page that is mapped in the virtual address space, but not loaded in physical memory.

The hardware that detects this situation is the memory management unit in a processor. The exception handling software that handles the page fault is generally part of an operating system. The operating system tries to handle the page fault by making the required page accessible at a location in physical memory or kills the program in case it is an illegal access.

Contrary to what their name might suggest, page faults are not errors and are common and necessary to increase the amount of memory available to programs in any operating system that utilizes virtual memory, including Microsoft Windows,Unix-like systems (including Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD, Solaris, AIX, and HP-UX), and z/OS. Note that Microsoft uses the term hard fault in its Resource Monitor to mean 'page fault
' [1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/arch ... aults.aspx

Apache is infamous for soft faults.

the fasterer it goes the more ya gets -

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows