Something wrong with MySQL database

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Something wrong with MySQL database

Postby jordanp100 » 05. May 2011 00:05

I've been running XAMPP on Mac ( OS 10.5.8 ) for the past few months without any problems until recently. I'm not sure what's going on or how to fix this.

After I reboot my computer and log back in and start up XAMPP, I get this error message with I try to access phpMyAdmin:

"#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) "

So I reinstalled XAMPP and got it working again. My websites and databases are all working fine. The I reboot (or log out), log back in, start up XAMPP and the same thing happens. I can't connect to the MySQL database anymore. Same error message while trying to access phpMyAdmin:

"#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) "

Any ideas why the MySQL database keeps getting messed up after a reboot?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
jordanp100

Re: Something wrong with MySQL database

Postby MegaChriz » 06. May 2011 13:20

It looks like you have set a password for the MySQL root user.

Whenever you change the password for the MySQL root user, you must also change the config-file of phpMyAdmin:
/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php
Code: Select all
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'your password here';

To edit the config-file, you may need to give yourself write permissions to the file.
Read more about giving your self write access in my post here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=39955#p158532

Alternatively, you can also copy the file to your desktop, edit it, and place it back in the phpMyAdmin-folder. You will need to enter the password of the administrator account of your Mac.
MegaChriz

Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby jordanp100 » 06. May 2011 17:07

Thanks for the response MegaChriz.

Actually I've never set a password for root user. I've always used it with no password.

You think it has anything to do with hard drive space? I am getting rather low (around 3GB left on a 32GB SSD).

Possibly permissions or preferences aren't getting saved like they should?
jordanp100

Postby jordanp100 » 18. May 2011 22:09

I think I figured out how to stop this from happening. I've been enabling FTP access via the System Preferences to update plug-ins and whatnot. I've found that if I leave the FTP settings turned ON while I reboot or logout/login, the MySQL database gets screwed up when I try to run XAMPP again. If I turn the FTP settings OFF in the System Preferences before I reboot or logout/login, everything is just fine the way it should be when I start up XAMPP again.

Not sure what's going on but at least I figured out how NOT to screw my databases up again.
jordanp100

Return to XAMPP for macOS