Getting Started with MySQL and Dreamweaver

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Getting Started with MySQL and Dreamweaver

Postby Dave Bear » 21. January 2004 00:24

I recently installed XAMPP, which is wonderful! I tried two other preconfigured packages that were worthless. But XAMPP let me get Apache and PHP up and running fairly easily.

Now I'm ready to tackle MySQL, but it looks much more confusing.

I was reading a tutorial on connecting MySQL to Dreamweaver at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/dream ... #utilities

It said I need to assign MySQL a password - and that's as far as I got.

I have two MySQL/Bin folders on my C drive - the original at C:/XAMPP/mysql/bin/ and a copy of XAMPP's MySQL folder at C:/mysql/bin/ I think I created the second folder when I was first playing with XAMPP and tyring to figure it out. I was going to delete it, but I thought I might first use it for practice by assigning it a password.

So I changed the directory to C:/mysql/bin/ and typed in the following:

> mysqladmin -u root password LGSyM

Then I refreshed a page in PHPMyAdmin 2.5.3 that illustrates some basic MySQL settings, but I got the following error message:

"phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server."

Error

MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)

[Documentation]

I want to get some advice before I make the problem any worse. Can I fix this by removing the password I created? If so, how can I do that? Should I then assign the password to the proper directory - C:/XAMPP/mysql/bin/ ?

I'm not even sure if I need a password. I'm just using MySQL on my computer. My sites are hosted by an ISP with its own MySQL installation. But I'm not certain if I can connect MySQL to Dreamweaver without a password.

Thanks!
An American patriot who hates George W. Bush!
Dave Bear

Return to XAMPP for Windows