Repeating Memory Violation from bad MYSQL admin input

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Repeating Memory Violation from bad MYSQL admin input

Postby batemanj » 01. April 2011 21:20

After installing XAMPP I clicked on MYSQL's ADMIN and entered a username and password thinking I could invent such things. (Obviously I am a novice at MYSQL.) Now I get a Memory Violation error every seven seconds (with a popup window that I have to close) because it is trying to read location 0. I uninstalled XAMPP and, in SAFE MODE for Windows XP service pack 2, deleted the LIB MYSQL.DLL file that was reportedly causing the error. Things are then OK when I reboot, but when I reinstall XAMPP the error returns. Something in WINDOWS outside of the XAMPP folder has been changed. How can I correct this? I would like to use XAMPP but this problem makes the computer unusable! Thank you for any help.
batemanj

Re: Repeating Memory Violation from bad MYSQL admin input

Postby Sharley » 02. April 2011 14:53

What version of XAMPP?

What is this MySQL Admin you click on?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby batemanj » 02. April 2011 23:15

xampp-win32-1.6.61 is what it says.
The installation produces a small interface program that tells what's running or stopped (apache, mysql, php) and lets you do administrative tasks.
It has a button labeled "Admin" for MySQL. I clicked that and got text boxes for entering Username and Password.
batemanj

Postby Sharley » 03. April 2011 03:16

This issue has been done to death when 1.66 and other old versions used a deprecated WinMySQLAdmin and the advice then and now is not to use it but to use instead phpMyAdmin.

You can safely delete the 3 winmysqladmin files from \xampp\mysql\bin\ folder which will then make the Admin... button redundant in the XAMPP Control Panel - just in case you are tempted to click on it again by mistake.
Remove from the Windows Startup folder any reference to winmysqladmin.
You can also kill the process if you find it in Windows Task Manager.

Here are some posts found by using keyword winmysqladmin in an advanced forum search in the XAMPP for Windows English forum:
viewtopic.php?p=136472#p136472
viewtopic.php?p=140361#p140361
viewtopic.php?p=151856#p151856
There were many more to read if you have the time.

To set the root user password for MySQL and for accessing phpMyAdmin (both use the same root user and password) click on the Security menu item found when you type http://localhost/xampp in your browser.

Why not install a newer version of XAMPP, for instance 1.7.3, which seems to be stable and does not include winmysqladmin but links to phpmyadmin from the MySQL Admin... button in the XAMPP Control Panel.
Last edited by Sharley on 03. April 2011 05:11, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby batemanj » 03. April 2011 05:10

Thank you very much! You have solved my problem. :D Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed solution.
batemanj

Postby Sharley » 03. April 2011 05:13

You are most welcome and I am pleased that you can now move forward after experiencing this most annoying issue.

Good luck and best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows