Error messages installing XAMPP 1.7.4 for win32

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Error messages installing XAMPP 1.7.4 for win32

Postby phpforfun » 15. March 2011 21:48

Greetings,

I am new as of today to your XAMPP project and have installed it on my system.

I encountered the following errors and need help in determining if everything is kosher with my installation.

1. Port 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use! Installing Apache 2.2 service failed! How/where can I fix this?

2. XAMPP Component Status Check failure [-1]. How/where can I fix this?

I also have a question regarding your initial installation screen. I selected the "service" boxes for Apache and MySql. Was this correct and if not, can this be changed somewhere?

Thank you all and I'm looking forward to my coding!
phpforfun

Re: Error messages installing XAMPP 1.7.4 for win32

Postby Sharley » 15. March 2011 23:33

phpforfun wrote:1. Port 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use! Installing Apache 2.2 service failed! How/where can I fix this?
A very common error and one that has been posted and solved many times on this forum.
Usually Skype or World Wide Publishing (IIS) hogging those ports.
Type netstat -ano at the command prompt to find out which.
Disable IIS or have Skype use alternative ports.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xam ... ml#nostart

phpforfun wrote:2. XAMPP Component Status Check failure [-1]. How/where can I fix this?
Another recent and well documented forum topic.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44320

Some have had success with fixing this issue by using the zip or 7zip version instead of the installer version of XAMPP although from what I can see the error can be ignored as seems not to have any effect on the running of XAMPP.

phpforfun wrote:I also have a question regarding your initial installation screen. I selected the "service" boxes for Apache and MySql. Was this correct and if not, can this be changed somewhere?
This will install those components as a Windows Service which means they will start when you boot your PC and is a personal preference.

I have found that starting the components manually is my preference and seems to eliminate many perceived security issues with having XAMPP running when not needed and the fact that XAMPP will have entries inserted into the Windows registry, which defeats portability if required.

You can remove the Services by removing the ticks in the Svc check boxes in the XAMPP Control Panel or by running the uninstallservice bat files in their respective component folder.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby phpforfun » 16. March 2011 00:28

Sharley wrote:
phpforfun wrote:1. Port 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use! Installing Apache 2.2 service failed! How/where can I fix this?
A very common error and one that has been posted and solved many times on this forum.
Usually Skype or World Wide Publishing (IIS) hogging those ports.
Type netstat -ano at the command prompt to find out which.
Disable IIS or have Skype use alternative ports.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xam ... ml#nostart

phpforfun wrote:2. XAMPP Component Status Check failure [-1]. How/where can I fix this?
Another recent and well documented forum topic.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44320

Some have had success with fixing this issue by using the zip or 7zip version instead of the installer version of XAMPP although from what I can see the error can be ignored as seems not to have any effect on the running of XAMPP.

phpforfun wrote:I also have a question regarding your initial installation screen. I selected the "service" boxes for Apache and MySql. Was this correct and if not, can this be changed somewhere?
This will install those components as a Windows Service which means they will start when you boot your PC and is a personal preference.

I have found that starting the components manually is my preference and seems to eliminate many perceived security issues with having XAMPP running when not needed and the fact that XAMPP will have entries inserted into the Windows registry, which defeats portability if required.

You can remove the Services by removing the ticks in the Svc check boxes in the XAMPP Control Panel or by running the uninstallservice bat files in their respective component folder.

Greetings, Sharley, and thank you for your assistance!
I don't use Skype at all. As for what was blocking/using port 80 on my system, it was my "Default Website" and I switched this to port 81, and IIS was disabled on my system as well. I did receive a successful installation message on my browser after installing XAMPP and typing the local host URL. I then tried a php test file with the world famous "Hello World" program/script, and it was not found on Apache (404). I saved this file XAMPP > htdocs as instructed by the "Installing, configuring and developing with XAMPP.pdf on your web site's support page. Can someone please help fix this 404 error now?
Also, I checked the Svc box for Apache on the control panel, started the service and it showed "running" for 2 seconds and then "running" disappeared and Apache is NOT running according to the control panel, but I see it as "started" under Component Services. How can I verify its status if one message says it's started (i'm guessing that means running) and the XAMPP control panel says it's NOT started?

Per your response about my Component Status Check message, I will ignore this if it won't affect other services, and my usage of XAMPP.

Thank you!
phpforfun

Postby Sharley » 16. March 2011 00:41

If any of the components don't show a green running indication in the XAMPP Control Panel then they are not running and a troubleshoot is required to find out why.

Read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues when you get server errors or when Apache can't start.

Remember that most files and folder names in XAMPP are case sensitive.

What did you type in your browser to load the php script file that gives a 404 error?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby phpforfun » 16. March 2011 02:06

Sharley wrote:If any of the components don't show a green running indication in the XAMPP Control Panel then they are not running and a troubleshoot is required to find out why.

Read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues when you get server errors or when Apache can't start.

Remember that most files and folder names in XAMPP are case sensitive.

What did you type in your browser to load the php script file that gives a 404 error?

Where may I find the error log file you mention above? I followed a path like the one you gave me but the logs folder is empty. Apache is still not running on my system.

I typed in my browser (FF3.6): http://localhost/helloWorld.php and received the error. All the casing is as it was given in the .pdf I mentioned I saved from your support site, written by a Dalibor D. D. in 2007 for XAMPPLIte. I also saved it in the directory this .pdf suggested. Please note that this guideline is/was for XAMPPLite, which I don't know still exists or not.

Thank you again!
phpforfun

Postby Sharley » 16. March 2011 02:38

phpforfun wrote:Where may I find the error log file you mention above? I followed a path like the one you gave me but the logs folder is empty. Apache is still not running on my system.
Apache has never run on your system from when you installed XAMPP as Apache creates the error.log file automagically when it starts and adds to the file on every occurrence of an error and when it is started and stopped.

So I suggest that you still have something running on port 80 and or port 443 that is preventing Apache from starting.

Similar issue with no log file being created in this topic where the fix seemed to be my alternative method below:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44697

Some are having issues with the installer version on Win7 and in particular the 64bit Win7 OS that may be fixed by following the alternative instructions below.

Alternatively follow the instructions in the readme_en.txt file for uninstalling this installer version and uninstall it.

Then download either the zip or 7zip archived version and extract the xampp folder to the root of a drive or partition, for example C:\ which will give you C:\xampp when extracted.

Next run the setup_xampp.bat file from the xampp folder.

Then go to http://localhost and you should see the XAMPP Welcome demo page if your XAMPP is working as it should.

BTW what server did you have running that served your default web site mentioned in a post above?
Make sure that this server is stopped and disabled before trying to install XAMPP again.

phpforfun wrote:I typed in my browser (FF3.6): http://localhost/helloWorld.php and received the error.
That is the correct URI to load your file and the normal browser behavior when there is no server running to serve the file you requested, but the message is canned and so does not give you any meaningful clues as to why there is a file not found error.

Your missing error.log file would give details had Apache been running.
Last edited by Sharley on 16. March 2011 03:05, edited 2 times in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby phpforfun » 16. March 2011 02:49

Sharley wrote:
phpforfun wrote:Where may I find the error log file you mention above? I followed a path like the one you gave me but the logs folder is empty. Apache is still not running on my system.
Apache has never run on your system from when you installed XAMPP as Apache creates the error.log file automagically when it starts and adds to the file on every occurrence of an error and when it is started and stopped.

So I suggest that you still have something running on port 80 and or port 443 that is preventing Apache from starting.

Some are having issues with the installer version on Win7 and in particular the 64bit Win7 OS that may be fixed by following the alternative instructions below.

Alternatively follow the instructions in the readme_en.txt file for uninstalling this installer version and uninstall it.

Then download either the zip or 7zip archived version and extract the xampp folder to the root of a drive or partition, for example C:\ which will give you C:\xampp when extracted.

Then go to http://localhost and you should see the XAMPP Welcome demo page if your XAMPP is working as it should.

BTW what server did you have running that served your default web site mentioned in a post above?
Make sure that this server is stopped and disabled before trying to install XAMPP again.

phpforfun wrote:I typed in my browser (FF3.6): http://localhost/helloWorld.php and received the error.
That is the correct URI to load your file and the normal browser behavior when there is no server running to serve the file you requested, but the message is canned and so does not give you any meaningful clues as to why there is a file not found error.

Ok. I will remove XAMPP and install via the method you suggested. I figured Apache would be running after install since your installer method is said to be the best method for installation.

Update to follow!

Thank you!
phpforfun

Postby phpforfun » 16. March 2011 03:15

phpforfun wrote:
Sharley wrote:

Ok. I will remove XAMPP and install via the method you suggested. I figured Apache would be running after install since your installer method is said to be the best method for installation.

Update to follow!

Thank you!

Before I uninstall XAMPP, can someone please tell me why I see two Apache.exe processes in Task Manager? I was going to attempt to end the first process to see if this may fix my Apache start up issues and I scrolled down the manager to make sure I had the correct and only process and found an identical second one (same name) with of course another PID. What's this about and will ending either of these or both help with my issue?

Thank you!
phpforfun

Postby Sharley » 16. March 2011 03:28

First of all there apache.exe processes don't belong to XAMPP as httpd.exe is used by XAMPP.

So these apache process are the reason that Apache in XAMPP can't start and you need to find the server that is running these processes and stop them if they are listening on port 80 and 443 - it is not enough to have apache listen on port 81 to avoid conflict but not to listen on port 443 also, so change that port to 4433 or similar in your other server and then try and start Apache in XAMPP.

You will also have issues if the other server is running MySQL on port 3306 as MySQL in XAMPP will require this port to function correctly.

My advise is to only have one Apache web server installed and running as confusion will reign now and in the future - and is already happening now.

You can serve multiple web sites from the same server using the VirtualHosts feature - I have 10 web sites being served from the same XAMPP installation but I also have several XAMPP installations that I use for testing, but I can only run one at a time unless I change the default listening ports.

It is normal for apache to run 2 instances of apache.exe (httpd.exe for apache in XAMPP) as one is a child process that is required for control purposes.

If you can make sure that port 80 and port 443 also port 3306 are free of other processes then you may not need to reinstall or use the archive versions as Apache and MySQL should start and be running from the XAMPP Control Panel - alternatively change the ports mentioned in XAMPP so there is no conflicts.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby phpforfun » 05. April 2011 20:49

Greetings,

After a brief hiatus from learning about my issue and fixing it, followed by more investigation and a lot of reading, according to the XAMPP control panel, Apache is now running steadily.

Upon trying to test against the server, however, I still encountered the "404, the requested URL/helloWorld.php was not found on this server, Apache 1.3.24 at xchaosx.com Port 80" error message. Please note I also have Apache 2.2.17 installed on my system and according to the Apache Service Monitor both versions are in green and running.

According to 'netstat' results, I have:

Apache.exe listening on port 80,
httpd.exe listening on port 443, and and Apache.exe process listening on port 8080 (these two ports are have the same PID according to Task Manager),
mysqld.exe listening on port 3306

I take it my issue now exists between Ports 443 and 8080 that are using the same PID? As I'm new to Apache, I have a question about "listening". What does this mean? Is this a good thing or bad (error) thing? My guess is that the port is waiting for requests, but I don't actually "know" if this is what it means and thus if seeing "listening" is good or bad. I have had no issue with MySql since installing XAMPP and it's always been in a running state in the control panel, but noted as "listening" in netstat results. I was told here that if I see "running" in the control panel for any of these components (Apache, MySql, FileZilla, etc) that everything is in "working" order. Also, I recall stating in my previous posts that the folder I saved my php file is "htdocs", and I got this information from a document on installing XAMPPLite, but my installation is just XAMPP. Could it be my file is in the wrong directory and that's why it's not found by the server?

My apologies for the lengthy message. I'm trying to provide as much info as possible so I won't keep returning everyday.

Thank you all for your help and patience with my "newbie" status!
phpforfun

Return to XAMPP for Windows