New User

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

New User

Postby mrdrbadboy » 09. March 2011 18:39

Hi,

I just downloaded XXAMP and installed it on my computer. (Windows 7)

I have also downloaded the phpbb 3.0 software and want to run it on my computer to configure a message board before uploading it to a web hosting site.

I am new to this and have no clue what to do next.

How do I get the 3.0 software onto the XXAMP server?

I hope that is the right question, but I really have no idea about any of this.

ANy suggestions?
mrdrbadboy

Re: New User

Postby Sharley » 09. March 2011 18:44

You could start by reading the \xampp\readme_en.txt file which has most of the answers or read the XAMPP for Windows home page and the linked FAQ in the home page.

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby mrdrbadboy » 09. March 2011 19:08

Thanks, but I have read that and I guess I still dont understand whats going on.

When I open XAMPP I assume you use the import tab to upload the files but I cant make that work.
mrdrbadboy

Postby Sharley » 09. March 2011 19:16

mrdrbadboy wrote:When I open XAMPP I assume you use the import tab to upload the files but I cant make that work.
Sorry I don't understand what that is all about - what import tab is that, how did you "open XAMPP" and what are you trying to "import"?

You would have read that you put your own files and folders like phpbb into the htdocs folder using the normal process of copy etc. in Windows Explorer File manager.

So you end up, using your phpbb example, with a folder in the htdocs folder called phpbb that has all the board's files and folders.
Next you follow the instructions for installing phpbb.

When you are finished extracting and installing phpbb you open your browser and type:
http://localhost/phpbb/

If you have any issues with phpbb you ask on their forums.

If you have any issues with XAMPP you ask here.

To test your XAMPP installation you type in your browser:
http://localhost/
Select your language and proceed to check out the demos all work and you should also secure your XAMPP.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby mrdrbadboy » 09. March 2011 19:35

Sorry if I am unclear, this is the first time I have ever tried doing anything like this and I dont have any idea whats happening with any of this.

When I open XAMPP I type in my browser 127.0.0.1/xampp

The control panel opens up and on the left side there is a tool bar that has an option phpMyAdmin when I select that another tool bar comes across the top of the page giving me the option tab IMPORT for importing a file.

Thats where I am getting stuck.

Am I wrong to think that I am trying to upload the phpbb software onto the XAMPP?
mrdrbadboy

Postby Sharley » 09. March 2011 19:42

mrdrbadboy wrote:The control panel opens up and on the left side there is a tool bar that has an option phpMyAdmin when I select that another tool bar comes across the top of the page giving me the option tab IMPORT for importing a file.
phpMyAdmin is the interface for managing databases and has nothing to do with running XAMPP.

You will however be required to use phpMyAdmin when installing phpbb to create a database to store the data for phpbb.

Visit the phpbb forums for help with installing phpbb in XAMPP.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby mrdrbadboy » 09. March 2011 19:44

Im trying!

Thanks for your help Sharley, I appreciate it.
mrdrbadboy

Postby peterwt » 09. March 2011 19:52

As Sharley said phpMyAdmin is for administering MySql databases. The import option you saw is to import a database into MySql.

Having downloaded phpbb follow the install instructions given on the site for installing it.

Peter
Peter
peterwt

Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit Professional

Postby Sharley » 09. March 2011 20:00

Google is your best friend.
Try asking a question of Google as I know there are many tutorials out there that may assist you get a handle on this complex web server issue.

It's it very difficult to do a post/reply conversation for new users that really need to do vast amounts of reading up on server administration subject.

Search for a member of this forum called JonB as I believe he has some tut links in his signature.

Good luck and best wishes with your project.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby alexwalker » 10. March 2011 11:04

I have installed Xampp on my business server and built a web site. Can I make that web site visible externally or do I have to install it on a dedicated web host service?
alexwalker

Postby Sharley » 10. March 2011 11:53

alexwalker wrote:I have installed Xampp on my business server and built a web site. Can I make that web site visible externally or do I have to install it on a dedicated web host service?
Yes you can but please be aware that XAMPP is put together with minimum security so developers can easily use it for developing rather than for production, which is where a hosting service comes in.

Read the related section in the \xampp\readme_en.txt file.

Please read the links in forum member Altrea's signature that really sums up your own needs, both compilations are free:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=41947
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby alexwalker » 10. March 2011 12:05

Sharley many thanks for a quick response ! Very helpful.
alexwalker

Return to XAMPP for Windows