XAMPP on a USB

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP on a USB

Postby Termanater13 » 29. February 2008 08:13

I would like to know how te get a stable insal of XAMPP on a USB devise for use on XP, and Vista computers.
Termanater13

Postby ridgewood » 29. February 2008 12:35

Download the DTX-Controller from http://rpbirt.com/zedfiles-archive/DTX/ (updated 10/3/2011) and follow the instructions in the readme.

I would suggest creating a main folder on the drive THEN unpacking a XAMPP.zip file into it as a sub-folder. The DTX-controller is placed in the xampp/ along with the dtx.ini.

If you want a stable install, use the alternative porting as outlined in the readme! The ports: 6060/6080 have been tested enough times that it would be a very rare exception for there to be a conflict.

As Izzy has stated before, it is important to give some feedback on DTX... while there are many downloads, there has not been a lot of input in quite a while.
Last edited by ridgewood on 10. March 2011 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
ridgewood

Postby Galdhrim » 02. April 2008 06:27

Just a quick note:
the readme file talks about a file named:
\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf

And I was unable to find it... but reading here and there, I found it is named "my" (without the .cnf extension)
Galdhrim

Postby ridgewood » 02. April 2008 11:41

Hmmm... I just downloaded the latest 1.6.6a 7zip version and there was a \xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf and \xampp\mysql\bin\my_example.cnf in the build. Is there any chance that your file explorer is not seeing the extension?

If I remember correctly, there was a time when a 'my' file was installed in the root or windows directory...

I don't have time right now to test the 'turn off extensions' in explorer...and I am traveling until Friday... but would you mind checking that for me and I will make a note in the readme if that is the case... if not, we can keep looking for what the difference is and make a change.

Also, I think the readme should be rewritten or edited... it started out as 'techie notes' rather than instructions and probably could be clearer for new users.

THANKS for the feedback!
ridgewood

Postby Galdhrim » 04. April 2008 08:41

Sorry, you was right, the file IS named my.cnf
Despite I had set windows explorer to show file extension, it hid this one... and it says it is a "velocidad de marcado" (dialing speed) file (I use spanish version of WinXP). :roll:
Galdhrim

Re: XAMPP on a USB

Postby wyxa » 09. March 2011 16:26

Hello guys!
Where I can download DTX Controller now (the old link is broken)?
Or is there any other solution to install XAMPP to USB stick and make it portable?
I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks.
wyxa

Postby ridgewood » 09. March 2011 16:56

here you go... http://rpbirt.com/zedfiles-archive/DTX/ ...for the 1.2 version

... combined the 1.3 version with it and fixed the link. Running 1.6.8 on Win 7, 64 & 32 ... but be careful with the SSL, it should be commented out unless you do the work around and line numbers in the read me have changed with 1.6.8.
ridgewood

Postby wyxa » 09. March 2011 23:57

Great!!!
Thank you!
I've got a question though. Is it possible to run under Linux?
My main goal is to have a web-server on USB memory stick and be able to plug it into any (Win or Linux) machine, run and continue doing my projects.
I have a doubt here - my memory stick is formatted as FAT32 - I know it's impossible to set files as executable, therefore it is impossible to run a binary.
What do you think, is it possible to reach the goal I stated above somehow? I just recently discovered XAMPP and I hope this is the solution I'm looking for (because it is cross-platform).

update:
Oops, I noticed that this is XAMPP for Windows discussion (I was talking about installing XAMPP on USB in Linux and be able to run on both platforms).
wyxa

Postby ridgewood » 10. March 2011 03:16

Hmmm... I would need to think about that... don't do a lot of Linux but there may be others that would be more help. My first 'guess' is that the Linux system would have to be running Vine or something like it... Anyone??????

Update to Update above... try running a virtual machine on your stick http://www.pendrivelinux.com/search/Search+Pen+Drive+Linux will give you some options... you can build it in Linux and run it in Windows ...
ridgewood

Return to XAMPP for Windows