XAMPP on a USB stick?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP on a USB stick?

Postby donnyb » 07. March 2011 21:29

I have played with Linux distros that can be installed onto a USB stick. I was wondering if this is possible to do with the latest release of XAMPP? Are there any special instructions to do this? By the way, I am using Windows 7-64 bit and have installed XAMPP without any problems.
donnyb

Re: XAMPP on a USB stick?

Postby Sharley » 08. March 2011 03:34

donnyb wrote:...I was wondering if this is possible to do with the latest release of XAMPP?
Yes you can.

donnyb wrote:Are there any special instructions to do this?
Yes there is, in the \xampp\readme_en.txt file.

donnyb wrote:By the way, I am using Windows 7-64 bit and have installed XAMPP without any problems.
For some users that is possible but for others it has been difficult if using the installer exe version, but the remedy for most 64 bit installation issues has been to use the zip version and then to run the setup_xampp.bat file in the xampp folder, (but do not run the setup bat file if installing to a portable device).

Remember that you can't run both a fixed drive installation of XAMPP and a portable installation of XAMPP at the same time on the same PC or you will have errors and a port conflict.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby donnyb » 08. March 2011 21:27

So, basically I unzip the package onto my USB stick and use the start.bat and the stop.bat for each item I want to start and stop. That is, I do not install the package, just unzip and use the batch files. Is this correct?
donnyb

Postby Sharley » 09. March 2011 00:49

donnyb wrote:So, basically I unzip the package onto my USB stick and use the start.bat and the stop.bat for each item I want to start and stop. That is, I do not install the package, just unzip and use the batch files. Is this correct?
Correct, but you still may be able to use the XAMPP Control Panel (\xampp\xampp-control.exe) to start and stop the components but don't tick the Svc check boxes as they will install the components as a Windows Service (start them when you boot) which will defeat the portability of your installation.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows