Status Check Failure

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Re: Status Check Failure [3]

Postby nightowl12 » 03. March 2011 06:39

I added "%SystemDrive%\xampp" to environment variables, though still comes up with error message for me.
nightowl12

Postby pwildt » 03. March 2011 08:41

Same problem for me. Luckely for me I run it on as a virtual machine. Reversed to the last snapshot and now running smoothly on 1.7.3. again 8)
pwildt

Postby LornaS » 04. March 2011 18:19

I too get this

'XAMPP Component Status Check Failure [3]. Run this program only from your XAMPP root directory.'

when starting xampp control panel.

I am also seeing this error with other people

Windows 7 - 64bit with one HDD - installed strictly according to the instructions.
Planning to add Joomla! after.

I have not seen an answer here or on other forums where it is mentioned.
LornaS

Postby sramandeep » 05. March 2011 13:33

I am also facing the same issue.
But for starting and stopping the Apache and MySQL services, try starting the XAMPP Control Panel as administrator.
Just right click on the icon and click "Run As Administrator" in Windows 7. With this, at least the services would be starting nad stopping.
sramandeep

Postby dominicsayers » 09. March 2011 17:50

Windows 7 32-bit installed with installer.

This is still a problem for me after trying all the suggested fixes. Now downloading the .zip to try a different install.

"XAMPP is our attempt to do something that shows free software doesn't have to be bad." - thanks for making XAMPP free. I appreciate the hard work. Hope this gets fixed soon.
dominicsayers

Postby dominicsayers » 10. March 2011 16:05

Well, instaling from the .zip was no better. But I did at least read the README this time. There it says "There it must be on the highest level like E:\ or W:\"

My install was to E:\apps\xampp

I guess this is why it doesn't work. I'm disappointed. This didn't seem to be a problem in 1.7.3 and before. It seems a little bit of a backward step for it to be a problem now.

FWIW, I don't really want an xampp folder in the root of my drive. I'm a tidy person. All my other non-native apps are quite happy in E:\apps.
dominicsayers

Postby Sharley » 10. March 2011 22:07

dominicsayers wrote:Well, instaling from the .zip was no better. But I did at least read the README this time. There it says "There it must be on the highest level like E:\ or W:\"

My install was to E:\apps\xampp

I guess this is why it doesn't work. I'm disappointed. This didn't seem to be a problem in 1.7.3 and before. It seems a little bit of a backward step for it to be a problem now.

FWIW, I don't really want an xampp folder in the root of my drive. I'm a tidy person. All my other non-native apps are quite happy in E:\apps.
You did a complete uninstall of the installer version and deleted the xampp folder before extracting the zipped version?

I just created G:\apps and extracted the xampp folder from this archive xampp-win32-1.7.4-VC6.7z

Then I ran the G:\apps\xampp\setup_xampp.bat file.

Next I ran G:\apps\xampp-control.exe and produced this screen shot for reference that the Status Check gives OK - no error message, so I am not not sure what your problem might relate to as I can't seem to be able to replicate it.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby dominicsayers » 17. March 2011 13:27

Thank you Ms. Sharley,

I followed your instructions to the letter and it now works.

What did I do different to last time? Here's what I can remember:

1. Uninstalled the installer version of XAMPP fully. I even used regedit.exe to remove all mentions of XAMPP from the registry.
2. Downloaded the .7z package (previously I'd tried the other two)
3. Ran setup_xampp.bat from the command line while in the XAMPP folder, instead of just double-clicking it.

Don't know which of these fixed it. But it's fixed.

Thanks again.
dominicsayers

Postby Shehi » 31. March 2011 08:51

Neither Auto installer, nor the technique mentioned above with Zip archive does solve the Status check issue. Regardless tho, Apache starts ok. And when I hit Status Check button again, it checks the status without any problems. Additionally, supposedly 1.7.4 should have Tomcat inside, but Control Panel shows no controls for that one anywhere [I presume its because of the failed Status check?].
Shehi

Postby jfpannone » 06. April 2011 20:45

I'm glad to see this post generated a lot of discussion...since "installation" without the installer (unzipped to top level (D:) drive) I haven't had a single issue. Thanks for all the help Sharley!

hopefully the next version will fix this and any other issues relative to win7 x64.
jfpannone

Postby Sharley » 06. April 2011 21:16

jfpannone wrote:I'm glad to see this post generated a lot of discussion...since "installation" without the installer (unzipped to top level (D:) drive) I haven't had a single issue. Thanks for all the help Sharley!
Your welcome jfpannone, and thanks for the feed back.

jfpannone wrote:hopefully the next version will fix this and any other issues relative to win7 x64.
1.7.5 (next version) is in beta and can be downloaded and tested from the beta web page here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-beta.html
Feedback for the beta versions can be given using the form provided on the above page as the forums don't have a beta section and the developer does not frequent these English forums too often.

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Cristiander » 07. April 2011 15:13

I DID IT!!!

1) Close the Skype application if you have it;
2) Try to uninstall Xampp with REVO UNINSTALLER (using maximum level);
3) Clean your system with CCleanner and make a registry repair (with CCleanner too).
4) Unpack the Xampp (Zip file) to "C:\"
5) The last step: double click in 'setup_xampp.bat'

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cristiander

Postby raman » 08. April 2011 03:03

Was getting: Status Check Error: 1242580, when starting the control panel.
Thanks for the post by "juggernaut" which mentioned skype. Killed it and apache started here. Started skype again that has no issues as well.
raman

Postby kawa » 15. April 2011 15:10

Hi,
I had the same problems (no stat of apache, mysql, filezilla; on a Windows 7 32 Bit Computer).

And I found a rude solution to get this working (it's working for me - I have no Skype installed and the error-log shows no port-problems):

1) in the Xampp-Control Panel click the button "Service" on the top.
2) in the opening box click on the button "SCM" at the bottom - Windows Service will open
3) locate the Apache service, mark it and click in the left panel: "Start" Service.
4) Do the same with the other services (if they are not willing to cooperate).
5) When finished close the Windwos Service window.
6) In the Xampp-Control Panel the modules should start as they should; the text below shows the failure information - ignore it.

hope this solution may be useful to others.
kawa

Postby FeralReason » 17. April 2011 18:30

I'm having the same problem with 1.7.4 and Windows 7:

ie:

ERROR:Status Check Failure [3]
This program must be run from your XAMPP root directory.
ERROR: Apache service not started [-1]

Skype is shut off and there are no port conflict messages in the Apache error log.
FeralReason

PreviousNext

Return to XAMPP for Windows