XAMPP Error

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Error

Postby grosskopf » 06. February 2011 05:31

I just installed XAMPP on a new VPS I just got and when starting it, I get the error attached to this post.

XAMPP Component Status Check failure [1959948536].

Current directory c:\xampp

Run this program only from your XAMPP root directory

I didn't adjust any settings during the install, let everything go to default.

grosskopf

Re: XAMPP Error

Postby Sharley » 06. February 2011 08:08

This is a well known version 1.7.4 issue that seems to emanate from Win7 64 bit using the installer version.

The remedy at present seems to be uninstall the installer version and download the archive zip version then run the setup_xampp.bat file.

The above from the German language forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44260
BTW steini has moderator privileges on these forums.

Also I noticed an old German language reply (2007) that mentions ZoneAlarm as perhaps having some influence on this issue - temporarily disable, restart your PC and see if it still occurs, if no difference then enable ZA again.

In older versions this issue sometimes occurred if XAMPP was installed to a path with a space in the name or even not in the root of a drive or partition in a folder not xampp for example it should be in C:\ D:\ etc. in a folder named xampp.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby grosskopf » 10. February 2011 02:16

Sharley wrote:This is a well known version 1.7.4 issue that seems to emanate from Win7 64 bit using the installer version.

The remedy at present seems to be uninstall the installer version and download the archive zip version then run the setup_xampp.bat file.

The above from the German language forum:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44260
BTW steini has moderator privileges on these forums.

Also I noticed an old German language reply (2007) that mentions ZoneAlarm as perhaps having some influence on this issue - temporarily disable, restart your PC and see if it still occurs, if no difference then enable ZA again.

In older versions this issue sometimes occurred if XAMPP was installed to a path with a space in the name or even not in the root of a drive or partition in a folder not xampp for example it should be in C:\ D:\ etc. in a folder named xampp.

This happens to me with the latest version (installer version) on Windows 2008 64 bit and Windows 2003 64 bit. I can still use XAMPP, I just have to open Firefox manually to open phpMyAdmin. Neither of the servers that I've run this on has zonealarm installed (nor do I use that POS software on my home PC). I have only installed xampp in c:\xampp.
grosskopf

Postby woolfie » 15. August 2011 14:35

I just removed Key “Install_Dir” completely from Windows Registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\xampp] and Xampp Control will start without error message. Xamp Control then shows “No installer package found” in status window after start. Maybe this is easier than deinstalling whole package and install zip-version. :wink:

woolfie
woolfie

Postby JonB » 15. August 2011 17:09

woolfie -

That might be a good suggestion for some who don't want to blow away their installation. The installer is the ONLY item that makes it into the registry (AFAIK), so there no real loss.

thanks for the idea

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby JonB » 20. September 2011 14:16

(likely a hijacked account - this line for line error was posted in 2009 to a different forum)
-------------------------------------------------
Wrong forum -

AND - are you also this person - "Thanks,William" ???
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows