Object not Found. .Requested URL... Error 404

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Object not Found. .Requested URL... Error 404

Postby scrtmtl » 24. January 2011 17:43

Hi,
Enviroment: Vista Home Premium being use as a development server.
xampp ver 1.7.3

I am a newbie and xammp is running fine since hello world and demo runs. I see the calendar running as an end user for I can look at upcoming, day, week, month. But if I click on the update button, I get the error 404 message and I also mention the url if that might help in your investigation. Have a feeling it is related to a simple usage setting and appreciate your help.

http://localhost/calendar/update.php in firefox and I get

Object not found!

The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about
the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
localhost
24/01/2011 7:53:52 AM
Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1

Here are pertinent information from googling to create my resolving checklist.
My httpd.conf file content

LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so (Note: No # sign, thus uncommented)

ClearModuleList AddModule mod_rewrite.c uncommented (Note: they are not in my httpd.conf)

In htpd.conf , this is what I am seeing
DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs"

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</Directory>

in htaccessfile, this is what I am seeing:

SetEnv APPLICATION_ENV development

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -s [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]

EOS;

Rather than going about changing blindly, I thank you in advance for your guidance. Sorry for asking this question but I did google to get some ideas. Tx

PS: I am just trying to do an install to evaluate this calendar. Administrative routines seem to be getting the 404 error like update.php and thus leaning to a setting.
scrtmtl

Re: Object not Found. .Requested URL... Error 404

Postby Sharley » 25. January 2011 08:52

404 errors are best investigated by looking in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues.

My guess is that in your calender php scripts you have link path issues that Apache can't find so it gives a 404 error especially if the scripts configuration is setting these paths, usually scripts like this are using settings that would be applicable for a Linux hosted server not a Windows server - read the error log file.

In htpd.conf , this is what I am seeing
Code: Select all
DocumentRoot "C:/xampp/htdocs"

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>
You seem to have missed the directive for the htdocs folder which is just a few lines below the above secure default <Directory> directive.
Code: Select all
<Directory "/xampp/htdocs">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
So nothing untoward there - everything as it should be.

The httpd.conf file should be kept in it's installation default state when ever possible and should only be changed if there is no other alternative, but knowing what you are doing is paramount or you could open a security hole that you may regret.

If the .htaccess file has an error then the error code will be 500 not 404.

If you suspect the .htaccess file ( I do not) then simply rename it or temporarily move it out of the calender folder to a another location like your desktop, test again and read the error.log file.

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows