SETTING ENVIRONMENT FOR USING XAMPP FOR WINDOWS

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

SETTING ENVIRONMENT FOR USING XAMPP FOR WINDOWS

Postby lucbrasil » 22. January 2011 03:47

I had the problem that opening XAMPPLITE Apache didn't "run" (Apache service started - Busy...), while MySql was running correctly.
In order to solve the problem, I opened the file named "apache_uninstallservice.bat" and I uninstalled apache service. Then I opened the file named "apache_installservice.bat" in order to restart my apache.
But when I opened the XAMPP Control Panel again and I clicked on Apache "Start", a DOS windows opened asking: " Setting Environment for using XAMPP for Windows - user@PC-USER C:\xampplite - # "
What I must write after the " # " in order to Start again my Apache? Thank you.
lucbrasil

Re: SETTING ENVIRONMENT FOR USING XAMPP FOR WINDOWS

Postby Sharley » 22. January 2011 03:57

lucbrasil wrote:I had the problem that opening XAMPPLITE Apache didn't "run" (Apache service started - Busy...), while MySql was running correctly.
Go back to this point and look in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file and see if there are any clues why Apache can't start - usually a port conflict as Apache needs ports 80 and 443 and can't share them with Skype, SYSTEM and IIS etc. for example.

Next do a port check to make sure that Apache httpd port 80 and 443 are free:
\xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe

Instead of using the bat files open your XAMPP Control Panel and remove any ticks you find in the Svc boxes and try and Start Apache again.

So to get a clean start remove any of the environment hacks you made so you are back at the beginning state when you installed XAMPP as it should work "out of the box" without having to make any system level changes at all if the Apache ports are free.

Good luck and best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby lucbrasil » 22. January 2011 04:49

Thank you for your kind answer. I looked at the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file, but I found lines only till January 5th. Then, I checked the ports and both 80 and 443 are free.
I opened my XAMPP Control Panel and I didn't find any tick in the Svc boxes and I tried to Start Apache again, unfortunately without results.
Besides, I didn't understand (I am italian and my technical English is poor) what you wrote:
So to get a clean start remove any of the environment hacks you made so you are back at the beginning state when you installed XAMPP as it should work "out of the box" without having to make any system level changes at all if the Apache ports are free.
May you tell me please, in other simples words, those concepts? Many thanks.
lucbrasil

Postby Sharley » 22. January 2011 05:04

No need to explain my rambling just ignore it as I misunderstood what you wrote and thought you had been changing some environment settings.

So we have this situation that there is no entries in the error log file at about the time you try and start Apache.

The ports 80 and 443 are free.

Have you tried to install and uninstall XAMPP before this current install?

Did you run setup_xampp.bat file when you installed XAMPP?

Have you tried a reboot of your PC? and then tried to Start Apache and if it won't start then look in the error log file for clues.

Sometimes if these "weird or what" issues can't be traced then a fresh clean uninstall and reinstall often fixes them.

To uninstall make sure all XAMPP components are Stopped in the XAMPP Control Panel and no ticks in the Svc boxes, then close the XAMPP Control Panel.

Next save any of your own files that are in the htdocs folder, but don't save any XAMPP files or folders as they will be reinstalled.

Next delete the complete xampp folder - don't try and install over one that is already installed.

Now install XAMPP again using the instructions on the XAMPP for Windows home page.
Then run the setup_xampp.bat file.

By the way is there any reason to install XAMPPLite instead of the full version as usually there are no issues and the full version has all the bells and whistles.

Good luck
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows