Help please :(

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Help please :(

Postby davidw » 14. January 2011 21:50

Hi I had XAMPP installed on my computer before. But then I downloaded WAMP, and removed XAMPP from my computer. I liked XAMPP better, so I removed WAMP and reinstalled XAMPP. But my problem is that when I go to http://localhost in my browser, I get a page not found error. What could be going on? Please help, I appreciate any help.

Thanks
davidw

Re: Help please :(

Postby Sharley » 14. January 2011 22:52

Any clues in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby davidw » 15. January 2011 03:00

The logs folder is empty, there are no files in it.
davidw

Postby Sharley » 15. January 2011 03:06

Then you may still have remnants of WAMP in the registry - a default XAMPP installation does not add entries in the Windows registry.

Run \xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe and see which server is using ports 80 and 443.

It also seems that Apache in XAMPP has not been started as it creates the error.log file and the access.log file when it starts.

Also check if XAMPP components are running green by using \xampp\xampp-control.exe which is the XAMPP Control Panel.

Did you have any issues when running the setup_xampp.bat file when you installed XAMPP ?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby davidw » 15. January 2011 23:48

I ran \xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe and port 443 was being used by uTorrent and 80 was free.

Then I opened the XAMPP control panel, and saw that there were 5 modules: Apache, MySQL, TomCat, FileZilla and Mercury and none of them have been started.
I started MySQL and Apache, but Apache would stop by itself automatically as soon as I started it. So now I have MySQL running and I tried http://localhost and it's still not working.

Thank you so much for your time :)
davidw

Postby Sharley » 15. January 2011 23:54

You should stop uTorrent, then use xampp-portcheck.exe again and see that both 80 and 443 are free and then try and start Apache again - Apache needs port 80 and port 443 by default.

If you start Apache first then uTorrent may listen on another port or you can configure uTorrent to use another port 4433 for example.

You should also perhaps have an error.log file now that you can read by dragging it in to your text editor - it is the best for giving details why Apache can't start.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby davidw » 18. January 2011 00:16

I closed uTorrent and started Apache, now it works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for the help :)
davidw

Return to XAMPP for Windows