Does XAMPP make your computer vulnerable?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Does XAMPP make your computer vulnerable?

Postby garfy » 14. January 2011 16:46

Can this happen? I installed XAMPP it works amazing but i got a super malware program for the first time. It blocks all the connections, ports.

Can XAMPP open ports somehow and invite malware on your
garfy

Re: Does XAMPP make your computer vulnerable?

Postby WilliL » 15. January 2011 00:31

garfy wrote:Can XAMPP open ports somehow and invite malware on your

no, but a hacker may overtake your apache and reconfigurate him. As discribed in readme an other well seen signs xampp is configurated as developement tool and not to use in life www.
Willi
WilliL

Operating System: Win7Home Prem 64 SP1

Postby Sharley » 15. January 2011 02:10

garfy wrote:...but i got a super malware program for the first time.
Where on your PC did the hacker put this super malware program (which folder) ?

How was this super malware program detected (which anti-malware scanner for example) ?

Did you follow the security instructions in the readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder ?

Please try not to double post again - thanks.
Click the Submit button only once when finished compiling your post, then wait for the confirmation page to appear - go to the link in my signature for help with understanding forum etiquette. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby garfy » 15. January 2011 05:22

HI

I am sorry for double posts.

I rpessed double time submit button.

Here is a post of same virus doing damage, I am not sure where the files were on my pc. Is it possible that hijacker hijacks xampp?
It sound like a fiction but is it possible, because I havent had a virus or hijacker for 1 or 2 years. and it happened yesterday same day i installed xampp?

http://www.seoandwebdesign.com/my_computer_was_hijacked_by_softwaresh.com.html
garfy

Postby Sharley » 15. January 2011 08:35

garfy wrote:I am sorry for double posts.

I rpessed double time submit button.
Anyone can make repeated mistakes. ;)

The link you provided gives an error 404 page not found as the article has been deleted.
Please check the links you provide in your posts do actually work.

XAMPP is not to blame for you getting this virus please click on this link and read these Google Results and learn about this website Softwaresh and how to remove the infection - Softwaresh.com is a hoax site.
www.cleanpcguide.com wrote:Softwaresh.com is a domain providing the online promotion for Antivirus Scan – a hazardous rogue anti-spyware tool.

Softwaresh.com hijacks your browsers and keeps redirecting you to the Antivirus Scan purchase site and is prompting you to buy a software.

Such websites like Softwaresh.com usually have their agents spread to computer systems via web-channels, trojans or video codecs.

Softwaresh.com will hijack browsers, block legitimate Windows applications, display various fake security alerts and detect numerous false infections in order to trick you into purchasing its full version.

It is critical to take Softwaresh.com seriously and remove it as soon as possible.
Tee Support Removal Instructions
CleanPCGuide

I repeat you did not get infected by being hijacked through XAMPP, not possible for this malware type, your web browser was hijacked not your XAMPP web server.

Check in \xampp\webdav folder that there is only 2 files index.html and webdav.txt just in case.
Delete or rename this folder as it is the only place that could be attacked on a default installation of XAMPP.

I advise you not to allow XAMPP to be generally accessed from the Internet until you have done some real research on the security issues involved as the level of server knowledge you are at may lead to you to having your PC compromised or to becoming a zombie machine that you would not be aware of - just use XAMPP for localhost development as advised in the \xampp\readme_en.txt file.

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby garfy » 15. January 2011 09:21

yes thank you, this link helped me remove trojan

http://www.seoandwebdesign.com/my_computer_was_hijacked_by_softwaresh.com.html

i set the root password and also xampp folder i set the user and password

i use xampp only for local offline purpose, is it possible to disable internet access somehow 100%?
garfy

Postby Nobbie » 15. January 2011 11:14

garfy wrote:i use xampp only for local offline purpose, is it possible to disable internet access somehow 100%?

Unplug the LAN cable.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows