How to Successfully Transfer XAMPP from 1 pc to another

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to Successfully Transfer XAMPP from 1 pc to another

Postby vinnie_vinodh » 30. December 2010 07:56

HELLO
I've installed "XAMPP" on WIN 7 64 bit in the E drive . The path is e:/xampp/xampp. I've also installed drupal and all the necessary modules for it.
Now the Problem is i need to tranfer this whole content from my win7 PC[home] to another working PC with vista[work pc] in it . So i've just copied the folder XAMPP to the new vista pc and used the setup from XAMPP control panel to relocate to the current path . So the issue is i'm unable to get localhost page at all . How do i have to relocate the entire XAMPP from 1 pc to another and make it working on it. PLease provide some insight on it ,i'm total newbie to web server administration and particularly to XAMPP.

Thanks In Advance

vinnie_vinodh

Re: How to Successfully Transfer XAMPP from 1 pc to another

Postby Sharley » 30. December 2010 08:21

You seem to have done what is needed to copy the xampp folder over to another PC or even another location on the original PC.

Did you have any issues when you ran the setup bat file from the control panel?

Have a look in the apache\logs\error.log file to see if there are any clues - you can drag and drop it into your text editor to read it

Also what exactly is going wrong, give as much detail as possible, but not in all bold type if possible :wink:

If you had any paths defined in any of the software you installed then they would need to be changed to reflect the new location if it was different to that on your Win7 machine.
The setup bat file does not change those paths only the paths in XAMPP's own components.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby vinnie_vinodh » 30. December 2010 16:17

Thank You sharley for that quick reply. Actually the problem is i'm unable to login to XAMPP localhost page with my username and password. How to reset the username and password( not mysql password)

I didnt have any problems running setup bat file and found no issues .Oh i actually ran it from Xampp control panel application.

Apache/log/error.log gave password missmatch .

I actually copied from my WIN 7( location is E:/XAMPP/XAMPP) pc at home to usb drive and then at office from usb to Vista pc to the same location (E:/XAMPP/XAMPP) . I hope you got it . And I ran setup from Xampp control panel and
selected "2. relocate XAMPP" it gave me no errors .
vinnie_vinodh

Postby Sharley » 31. December 2010 02:26

Follow the instructions here...
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43513
...and then you can create a new user/pass combo from the XAMPP Security page if you wish.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby vinnie_vinodh » 31. December 2010 04:24

Thank You Sharley
vinnie_vinodh

Postby Sharley » 31. December 2010 05:22

Your most welcome and ...

May all your fun be prosperous in 2011. :D
Sharley