MySQL already loaded

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL already loaded

Postby mhh12 » 17. December 2010 18:23

The XAMPP program seems to be a good way to get coordination between a multitude of programs.
However, I have alrady loaded MySQL Community Server 5.1.53 directly from Oracle.
What happens when XAMPP tries to load MySQL? Does it have a message recognizing there is already an instance of MySQL and then continues? Does it say it can't go any further and asks me to remove the copy I have already installed? Or what?
Actually, I have already loaded and installled MySQL Workbench and I assume I got, at the same time, MySQL Community Server 5.1.53. When people don't say what is going on, it is hard to know what is actually going on.

Also, I do not want to work in the MSDOS environment of the so called run- command line. It seemed to me NetBeans has some kind of a GUI that works in Windows so I can develop code to manipulate the MySQL database and HTML to make web pages. Also there is Apache which I think has a GUI to manipulate the database.

Thank goodness, I never got into Vista. The number of special work arounds to use Vista are ridiculous.

Thanks for all the work you have been doing to make combining these program together a little simpler.
Mark H.
Architect Emeritus; Yale '52, '57, '58; Technical Writer; Web Site Developer
mhh12

Re: MySQL already loaded

Postby Sharley » 18. December 2010 00:25

mhh12 wrote:The XAMPP program seems to be a good way to get coordination between a multitude of programs...

...Thank goodness, I never got into Vista. The number of special work arounds to use Vista are ridiculous.
You may have an even greater multitude of work arounds to figure out if you try and mix XAMPP's components with already installed similar components.

My advise would be to use just XAMPP and uninstall or disable the other MySQL instance - you may be able to configure your other programs to find and use the MySQL instance in XAMPP easier than the other way round.

Or you could install a standalone Apache and any other XAMPP included components that you may require, but the simple and easy solution is simply just install and use XAMPP which is already configured to get along with all the components together just nicely - and no need to use a command line either, if you don't want to.

As you know there are many programs that you install that add components and files without asking whether you need them or not or put them in locations that you can't specify and is a pet hate of mine.

As is when you uninstall programs that leave junk every where on your computer.

Just mindless self interested nerdy bunch of twit programmers who either don't know what people want or simply don't give a damn - I spend lots of time cleaning up after them.

Good luck.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: MySQL already loaded

Postby mhh12 » 19. December 2010 23:55

All the way from Australia. Gaud Blimie. I am in Cleveland, Ohio. I will take your advice, remove the instance I now have in my computer of MySQL and utilize XAMPP.

Thank you for your advice.

Mark H.
Mark H.
Architect Emeritus; Yale '52, '57, '58; Technical Writer; Web Site Developer
mhh12

Return to XAMPP for Windows