How to update/upgrade MySQL version?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to update/upgrade MySQL version?

Postby Terrum » 05. December 2010 01:09

Hi, after huge stress and nervousness of trying to install the latest version of MySQL http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/ into C:\xampp\htdocs it stopped it working and i lost all my passwords, managed to backup the data though. The server wouldn't even start.

Running on Windows. The MySQL version I have is 5.1.41 and I need the latest, which is 5.1.53. Could someone tell me how to upgrade/update the XAMPP MySQL to 5.1.53? Thanks. I have tried searching but I'm so stressed after a previous nervousness and I just need human-to-human help.
Terrum

Re: How to update/upgrade MySQL version?

Postby JonB » 05. December 2010 04:03

Your simple answer - you basically can't

How many times does it have to be said - You can't upgrade the major components of XAMPP piecemeal.

Its a bad idea, and likely just won't work, ita a case of - "if you have to ask, you can't do it" (a corrolary of "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it").

I refuse to feel sorry for you, as a simple search on this forum, or just 'perusing it' would have uncovered dozens of similar topics - dealing with PHP, Perl, MySQL and Apache - the answer is the same for all - IF YOU NEED SPECIFIC VERSIONS AND THEY ARE NOT PART OF A SUITE (XAMPP, LAMPP, OR WAMP) YOU HAVE TO DO STANDALAONE INSTALLATIONS

Did it occur to you to ASK FIRST? Someone might have told you how to back up, before you destroyed your database. and you wouldn't be in quite the fix you find yourself in. Thye also would have told you not to try it.

BTW, I'm dying to know specifically why you needed the 'latest release'.

I guess my response does not fit your apparent needs, but its accurate.

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Terrum » 05. December 2010 12:06

I did backup as I said first. I just got awfully frustrated from all the stress I had on it and just need to get my site working again. And I did use the search the most I could, I just pretty much wrote "updating mysql" and "upgrading mysql", barely anything useful came up.

The reason I want the latest version is because lots of PHP I use from CMS sites and other sites have have the latest version of mysql and I'm the only one having the problem with MySQL errors on this downgraded version. The error I get most of the time includes "You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1" and others. I'm not prepared to share the php though but I'll try get help elsewhere. Thanks.
Terrum

Postby JonB » 05. December 2010 18:37

OK -

I 'can' make a suggestion here, and I suspect it is at the root of your issue. I do a lot of MySQL work - the syntax doesn't change much EXCEPT at major revisions. Minor releases are bug fixes, and you can see what the fix in the release notes.

The MySQL version you need is the 'highest one' in the system requirements definition for the scripts you are using. Just think of it this way - web hosting companies deploy servers and 'never' update the MySQL software on them (except to go to a new major version), and virtually NONE are on the 'newest minor version' - so how do all those CMS's not fail??? Because they really don't need the whiz-bangiest MySQL.

An additional thought is this - if you were to use some new functions (like foreign keys for myISAM) only available in version, say 6.0.1 (which may never happen, stay tuned) - what servers would you be able to deploy on???

Finally, because your problem IS SQL syntax, what that message really means that the interpreter can't fathom what you want to do, and is saying 'I give up, you must mean something I don't know about'. So its telling you to 'RTFM' in server talk.

I have found the LinuxCBT series on MySQL to be the absolute best to get a grounding in the highly complex world of writing your own SQL statements. I also recommend using a GUI query writer that spits out PHP code you to use in your applications. That last bit can do wonders for your understanding.

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Terrum » 05. December 2010 21:40

Alright thanks very much!
Terrum

Return to XAMPP for Windows