CLI has encountered a problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

CLI has encountered a problem

Postby firedrago » 30. November 2010 22:00

I have just installed XAMPP on my computer and unfortunatelly a Windows error pops up at the end of installation, reading:

CLI has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

report data shows

Error Signature
AppName: php.exe AppVer: 5.3.1.0 ModName: php5ts.dll
ModVer: 5.3.1.0 Offset: 002ebc63

I am running:
VIA Samuel 2
800MHz
1GB RAM
Windows XP SP2
and XAMPP Lite for Windows 1.7.3

I have tried some hints with libmysql.dll but they don't work. Maybe I tried wrong PHP version because thread mentioning it is one year old and something could have been changed? Anyone has any clue what to do?
firedrago

Re: CLI has encountered a problem

Postby Sharley » 01. December 2010 01:59

See if there is anything is these php5ts search results that may help.

Over time there has been much discussion about this fault with apparently no definitive solution but the many trial and error solutions on offer.

The above search results are only a few but by simply using the search term php5ts it may produce even more recent results.

These Google Search Results may require some reading but may also offer a solution to this issue.

Goof luck and if you do find your solution please help the forum by posting it back here for others to try.
Thanks.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby firedrago » 01. December 2010 21:28

Thanks Sharley for your reply but it looks like you say about Apache issue. OK, file name looks the same but I can reproduce this error by simply running Control Panel and pressing Setup button. It opens cmd window and then error pops up. It does not look for me as Apache problem. I can be wrong ofcourse. I tried hints from your search and they don't work.
Last edited by firedrago on 02. December 2010 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
firedrago

Postby JonB » 01. December 2010 23:52

Hi - see this topic

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42931

You have run into the same type of issue, likely a genuine PHP bug. Please read the listed topic, he had good debugging info - what is needed to report a problem. I also explained what is really happening, and you may be able to understand at least why it might happen. I may have a suggestion for you, but first I must ask - is there a reason that your XP is not on SP3??

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby firedrago » 02. December 2010 00:10

JonB wrote:Hi - see this topic

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42931

You have run into the same type of issue

There is no surprise for me, that I have run "into the same type of issue", because your link leads to MINE topic :lol: Believe me, I have dug this forum for issue like mine but to noavail :cry:

JonB wrote:is there a reason that your XP is not on SP3??

I didn't have any issues with SP2 so I don't see any reasons to move to SP3. Do you think there is any interconnection betwen error and SP2?
firedrago

Postby JonB » 02. December 2010 02:58

oops I wanted you to read THIS one:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42285

about Service Packs -

They fix hundreds of issues, and there is always some small chance that a Service Pack update will fix an apparently unrelated problem, and your problem (whatever it may be will go away). Think about this - you are experiencing a rare error that 99.99% of other users never experience. Reason - something different about a small, small percentage of Windows users system loading and - under these cicumstances - PHP dies - due to a protected memory exception. Windows is preventing the Apache executable (which loads the php5ts.dll) from writing to a memory location that is in use by another application. (without a memory dump and a LOT of knowledge and debugging technology, you won't lilely find out what application was transgressed - it could even be part of Windows).

And the problem you are having is the same issue in another disguise - the CLI mentioned in the Command Window (cmd.exe) AKA Command Line Interpreter.

Open setup_xampp.bat in an editor - SURPRISE - its a PHP program!!! And when you click setup in the Control Panel - that's what is launched 'setup_xampp.bat'.

AppName: php.exe AppVer: 5.3.1.0 ModName: php5ts.dll

Offset: 002ebc63 << this is the memory location of the faulting instruction in the DLL I'm pretty sure.

The reason I suggest you install the Service PAck is that your running Windows environment (memory mapping-wise) will change, and there is a chance the current error condition will just go away.

Good luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby firedrago » 02. December 2010 19:15

JonB wrote:oops I wanted you to read THIS one:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42285

I have just suspected that it was usual copypaste error. :roll: I have red before about servicepack issues but along what you say curing some issues, they sometimes create another. Because my PC is running well with SP2, I see no point in upgrading it to SP3 just because one installation failed. I can create a lot of other problems installing SP3 including my existing programs to fail.

At the moment I have moved to another direction. I have installed XAMPP 1.7.1 and it looks like there is no problem with it. Version 1.7.2 crashes the same way as 1.7.3. Does it add anything to the possible narrowing a target?
firedrago

Postby JonB » 02. December 2010 21:41

its really irrelevant - there are no fixes for old versions, the only thing you can do is change the environment. That was why I suggested what I did.

You could

try the beta version,

or try WAMP

or install the things (parts) you need standalone - its not terribly difficult.

One thing that you can't do (unless you are ready to recompile from source) is change versions that are already packaged and built.

OR - install on a different machine

OR do a disk image backup and install the service pack.

You DO know you can uninstall service packs, right? MS has that down pretty firmly.

That's about it - its a rare bug - you have a machine that has the environment to expose it, and there is actaully nothing else at all to say or do - other than - report your bug...

Sorry - I gave you and the OP the straight skinny.

:|
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby firedrago » 02. December 2010 22:03

Thanks JonB. You echoed solutions I had in my mind. I will try some solutions. The machine I use for XAMPP is not very important so I can give it a go and upgrade to SP3. I'll keep you updated.
firedrago

Postby firedrago » 03. December 2010 00:07

OK JonB.. I have just upgraded to SP3 and installed XAMPP 1.7.3 and.. the same error again :cry:
Any clue?
firedrago

Postby JonB » 03. December 2010 02:01

Sorry - there's no way to tell without a huge debugging effort, one that is right at the edge a systems engineers skill set. It hinges on what memory space php5ts.dll is trying to write to AND why, and 'what is there' already. It could be a device driver, or a program that is customarily loaded on boot, or it could be reserved system memory (Windows) - This was the root of Sharley's comment, and why you can't find a straightforward solution. It could even be a CPU instruction set quirk. It clearly happens on a tiny, tiny percent of machines. The bad news is, even when you found it - there might still be no good solution.

I don't know exactly what you need from a suite like XAMMP, so its really hard to snuggest a best course.

You could try the new beta - its built differently for Windows that 1.7.2 and 1.7.3 - I don't think even the developers could tell you if it will solve your issue (as we don't know the root cause).

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-beta.html

If you only need PHP and MySQL really just for local development, WAMP is very lightweight, you might try that.

Just remember all these variants come from the same PHP source in the same release version number AND because its a DLL its co-dependent on the Apache compile.

The best course is a function of what YOU want the server to do.

This thread was about a different topic (but similar) in the end he chose to install separately and left a link where he found the info - the topic also discusses all the techie issues involved. - you might find it useful

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=40499&p=168303&hilit=thesitewizard#p168303

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby firedrago » 03. December 2010 22:04

All right JonB. I appreciate your replies. Ofcourse it is not easy to find root of problem just knowing few symptoms.
For me it is quite clear, that problem sits in PHP version. As stated somewhere, 1.7.3 is build with different PHP version than 1.7.1.

As to my demands.. I need Appache, MySQL and PHP only, to run test sites based mainly on Joomla! and phpBB so it is not really crucial for me to have latest release of PHP. I think I will stick to XAMPP 1.7.1 and wait for next stable version.
firedrago

Postby JonB » 03. December 2010 22:55

OK

Good luck with your projects! (and Happy Holidays( :D

8) <== kool server geek
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows