Help with using <VirtualHost *:80> on Win 7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Help with using <VirtualHost *:80> on Win 7

Postby Fulcrum97 » 29. November 2010 20:55

I have been looking for a few days to research this and havent found anything that has fixed my issue.

I am trying to set up these Virtual hosts externally. I use dyndns for my IP's dns and when I used xampp (last time was 3 or 4 years ago), I used to be able to setup these virtual hosts externally.

For example

<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot "C:/SERVER/WWW/xampplite/htdocs/admin/"
ServerName admin.mydnsname.homeip.net
</VirtualHost>

So, in my research, I found all of the stuff about editing the file >C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts< and of course I played around and made sure that matched up properly. However, the problem I have is that the admin.mydnsname.homeip.net does not work on any computer but the host (where the 127.0.0.1 would point).

I have taken the # away from "NameVirtualHost *:80", tried restarting apache after every change I make. I have even tried adding in permissions just incase it may have something to do with it.

<Directory "C:/SERVER/WWW/xampplite/">
Options +Indexes +Includes +ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride All
Order deny,allow
Allow from all
</Directory>

Any ideas why this doesnt work to connect to externally anymore, like it used to with Windows XP/Server 2003?
Fulcrum97

Re: Help with using <VirtualHost *:80> on Win 7

Postby Fulcrum97 » 29. November 2010 21:17

I also should have mentioned - I am able to connect from an external IP to the root of my htdocs folder through the DNS.

I do have port 80 forwarded on my router to the IP address hosting my xampp instance... as suggested here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42794

Its just the vhost part that doesnt work at all, outside of testing through 127.0.0.1
Fulcrum97

Postby JonB » 30. November 2010 01:02

I'm pretty sure you can't create 'subdomains' on top of those configured in your account with dyndns. - EXCEPT locally where you can 'get in' before dyndns's resolver goes to work. Its really not a subdomain, rather a refinement of the hostname - but that's semantics.

If you are using their free services, you might see if that will work with one of their 'custom' Pro accounts.

DynDNS Free allows you to create a hostname that points to your home or office IP address, providing an easy-to-remember URL for quick access.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Fulcrum97 » 06. December 2010 06:37

Hmm, okay thanks.

Thats too bad, because I know that it used to be possible. Back a couple years ago. Dyndns must have changed something?
Fulcrum97

Return to XAMPP for Windows