Working with PHP and C#

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Working with PHP and C#

Postby darlenemurphy » 03. November 2010 15:52

I have XAMMP installed on my workstation and I also have Visual Studio 2010 install on Windows 7 Ultimate. I also have SQL 2008 R2 installed. I have used Xampp for years and would like to know if this will work with the PHP for Visual Studio applications? Can I edit php files there? I also have DreamWeaver CS4 installed, so I am wondering what to use to create an application that uses PHP and C#.

The information in the Web installer is very extensive compared to setting up Xammp.

Actually I need to know if you have to used SQL with our developing for php and c# aplications. Xampp works fine for me but it uses MySQL. I use Dream Weaver as my GUI when writing code in php and it also includes the capabilities to write code in C#. Therefore I was wondering if this could be used instead of Visual Studio or if I can point Visual Studio to MySQL. The process discribed to get php to work listed on the Web Platform page is an extensive and confusing process.

Please help!!!
LadyDee
darlenemurphy

Re: Working with PHP and C#

Postby JonB » 04. November 2010 00:42

The BEST person to ask would be BigWetDog, but I suspect you are going to run into compile issues (assuming you wish to create extensions for PHP in C#) He and I duscussed this in the past, but it was a while ago and my brain cells are aging,

The PHP libraries will be different even if you are not planning on compliing, as the PHP in XAMPP was compiled with the Visual Studio 6. And (I think) the code won't be portable without the .net framework.

Maybe someone else will have some good input for you, (I'll be interested myself) while I see if I can wake up the dog...

Good Luck
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby darlenemurphy » 04. November 2010 15:37

I am using the .NET framework. As a matter of fact I have Visual Studui 2010 which has framework 4.0 on it. I program in C#and php. I have Xampp 1.7.2 installed.
Hope this helps.
LadyDee
darlenemurphy

Postby JonB » 04. November 2010 18:23

I'm at the end of my personal knowledge, and I have dispatched an e-mail to BWD.

Out of curiousity, what were you planning to do in C#? - if I had some info on that I prolly could advise better.

The libraries that support the PHP that comes with Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 are probably not compatible with the PHP that is supported by XAMMP.
reason:
read this FAQ: I want to use extensions for PHP that are not included with XAMPP. Can I do that?
http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/word ... -i-do-that

hopefully someone else may have some insights.
:mrgreen:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby darlenemurphy » 05. November 2010 17:30

I have become a member of Microsoft BizSpark which is for startup business. I have to create a c# and php application to pass my .NET exam which is in December.

LadyDee
darlenemurphy

Return to XAMPP for Windows