Password issues for My SQL

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Password issues for My SQL

Postby wyncroftrd » 30. October 2010 05:56

When I type in user and password I get the following error message. "Cannot start session without errors, please check errors given in your PHP and/or webserver log file and configure your PHP installation properly."
Can someone help with this issue and also in 'Laymans terms' how to reset or find existing User and Password, as I may be inserting wrong information. I am very new at this so please be patient with me. I have 'appache friends' edition. Running Windows XP Pro. Also have a new website I am building and don't really want to do a new install of XAMPP as it may delete all the files created to build the site.
Thanks in anticipation
wyncroftrd

Re: Password issues for My SQL

Postby JonB » 30. October 2010 06:11

When I type in user and password I get the following error message

Do you mean when you try to start phpMyAdmin or when????

:?:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby gillwill » 30. October 2010 07:13

wyncroftrd wrote: Also have a new website I am building and don't really want to do a new install of XAMPP as it may delete all the files created to build the site...

You may not have to re-install, but you should, regardless, backup your web pages to a different folder. Then you can copy them back to the htdocs folder if you have to re-install.
gillwill

Postby wyncroftrd » 31. October 2010 01:39

Thanks for the prompt reply guys.
JonB - It's when I open the XAMPP Control Center and click on 'Admin' button after MySQL - Running
gillwill - Is there any chance you can run me through the sequence to save my web site, as I really don't want to stuff up after doing all this work?? Or is there somewhere on line that shows me this?

Regards,
John
wyncroftrd

Postby JonB » 31. October 2010 01:54

When you do that 'click' for 'admin' - you are attempting to launch phpMyAdmin

So all you need is the 'resetroot' fix that is built in to XAMPP. It resets the MySQL root and pmauser (phpmyadmin control user) accounts back to their installation defaults. The resetroot.bat is in the \xmpp\mysql\bin folder. BUT - One little fix is need before you run it.

Here's an FAQ on it:
http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/word ... age_id=491

You may also (very likely) need to clean up your config,inc.php. but the easisest thing to do might be to copy a fresh one fom the download after you reset the password. Just extract the files elsewhere and copy a clean config.inc.php into your \xampp\phpmyadmin folder. The you can use (if you choose) the XAMPP Security Page to set new passwords if you wish.

I'll let gillwill help you with the backup issue.

Good Luck, I think your problems are prolly over,
:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows