AVG 2011 found corrupted files in XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

AVG 2011 found corrupted files in XAMPP

Postby Kev2612 » 21. October 2010 06:53

Hi,

I recently installed the new AVG2011 and it has put 2 XAMPP files into the virus vault, stating that they are corrupted:

C:\xampp\perl\bin\a2p.exe (the installed file on my machine)

J:\XAMPP\xampp-win32-1.7.3\xampp\perl\bin\a2p.exe (the download file on my storage drive)

Would this file really be corrupted or has AVG incorrectly read this as suspicious?

As these files are now in the virus vault, what are the consequences of the files being missing? (XAMPP still seems to be running, but I only have limited experience with it)

Should I restore them and continue as if nothing has happened.

Thanks in advance.

Kev.
Kev2612

Re: AVG 2011 found corrupted files in XAMPP

Postby Kev2612 » 21. October 2010 10:15

Hi Thanks for the feedback,

I ran the scan and one of the scanners reported finding "Crafted.Win32File.OLS" further research showed this to be an OS emulator. As the nature of XAMPP is to emulate servers etc. is this what the file is actually for on a legitimate basis? and is simply being misinterpreted by the antivirus software. In the same way that code generators are often read as viruses when it's the legitimate function of the file that gets it spotted by the anti virus in the first place.

Cheers.

Kev.
Kev2612

Postby highwaykind » 23. October 2010 10:00

Same issue. AVG Quarantaine - 'if you believe this is a false positive, forward it to, blablabla', I did and this stupid reply came back.

This e-mail is an auto-response message. Please do not reply.

AVG Research Lab has analyzed the file(s) you have sent from your AVG Virus Vault. Below you can find the results for each file. The final verdict on the file is either a correct detection or a false positive detection.

Further information about the verdicts are available at our website:
http://www.avg.com/faq-1184

"C:\xampp\perl\bin\a2p.exe" - detection is correct

Best regards,

AVG Customer Services
AVG Technologies

I have AVG Free so I can't contact customer support about this, I hope someone else can so AVG can fix this (it's going to get annoying if it gets detected at every scan, I couldn't find a 'add to save list' button anywhere either? Clean install on new harddisk so pretty sure it's not a virus)
highwaykind

Postby Kev2612 » 24. October 2010 05:54

Yep, it seems to show up everytime. The reply from avg could basically mean anything, so not much help there.
I also have avg free so am in the same position as you. However, I also run Avast and that does not detect a virus.

I have tried the following to add as an exception:

tools/advancedsettings/pupexceptions/addexceptions

maybe this might at least stop it being removed every other day, but I cannot confirm this until I run AVG again this evening.
Kev2612

Postby Kev2612 » 28. October 2010 07:44

Adding to exceptions did not work. AVG still removes and quarantines every time I run a scan.

Anybody got any other ideas??
Kev2612

Postby JonB » 28. October 2010 18:37

Re-install AVG 9?
I tested and the resident sheild exception did not seem to work either -

HOWEVER - it does not matter anyway -

What the AVG 2011 is saying is not that the A2P.exe is a virus or malware - it means that A2P.exe fails its CRC Checksum calculation... And that is why it failed the analysis you requested.

Its easy to determine if this is correct - its a Windows executable - double click on it - GUESS WHAT????

AVG is right - "c:\windows\xammp\perl\bin\a2p.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

So even if you wanted to use it - you couldn't - the file is corrupt. You ask - How was I able to DL a corrupt file?

You didn't DL A2p.exe - you downloaded a package, and Its likely because when the exe and zip files were packaged, the 'check all files' option was disabled for speed.

(the server geeek is sorry he has been so busy with work crises (multiple) to post this with full explanation - needed to test to make sure - I knew the diff a few days ago)

I hope this settles the issue.

Good luck to all.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Kev2612 » 09. November 2010 08:13

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. So in a nutshell does this mean that the corrupt file needs to be downloaded separately?

Cheers.

Kev.
Kev2612

Postby JonB » 09. November 2010 13:08

That is a good question, it could be that the file was flawed when compiled. I'm unsure if separate object file downloads are supported in this project.

:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Kev2612 » 09. November 2010 15:41

have done a bit of research to find out if having a corrupt a2p file will be detrimental to the xampp prog, and am still no further on. Seems it could be a translation file or something to do with IE6. All I need to know i guess is does this fault have an effect on xampp? I would err on the side of yes it does, or it would not be there in the first place. However, it could be a legacy file that has been superceded by another file. I have no idea!! is it worth downloading all of the xampp package as a zip file extracting the a2p and replacing the corrupt one? or will that just blow my xampp installation to pieces?

what do you think think jonb?

Kev. :?
Kev2612

Postby JonB » 09. November 2010 16:26

its an executable file, which is effectively a free-standing program. If you don't use it - it has no significance,

a2p.exe is a very exotic piece of Perl scripting and debugging gear - if you are not a Perl developer - it has no impact on you at all. XAMPP will not use it in everyday operations even if you use Perl applications. It's also not a risk in any shape or form. So pitch it, let it stay in the quarantine/vault - it just doens't matter.

http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/a2p.1.asp

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Kev2612 » 09. November 2010 16:46

Sounds good to me - destined for the virus vault..never to be let out again.

Cheers.

Kev. :D
Kev2612

Postby bertusvandalen » 02. March 2011 12:27

side remark, slightly off topic but interesting for AVG users

the resident shield can have paths excluded. my php library and me, we make a lot of debug log lines in files. each line (20-50 per request) starts a resident shield scan.

this can take up to ten seconds per request.

now that i have added parts of my htdocs directory to the exclusion paths of the shield, my trusted development speed is back again
:mrgreen:
bertusvandalen

Postby Kev2612 » 02. March 2011 16:26

I found that AVG started using more and more resources and was no way near as good as it used to be. I totally removed it.
So, problem solved. :idea:
Kev2612

Return to XAMPP for Windows