remote mysql & import size

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

remote mysql & import size

Postby ttyler333 » 15. October 2010 16:16

Hello, i am curious how i would make my mysql "remote".
Like instead of doing mysql_connect('localhost')... i want it to be mysql_connect(REMOTE location)..

Also i have been googling information and have yet to find how i change the import size. Where is that information located?
ttyler333

Re: remote mysql & import size

Postby JonB » 15. October 2010 17:05

I'm pretty sure you don't quite mean exactly what you asked.

If the question was - "How does the MySQL client side know what instance of MySQL to attach to?":

A: You only need change the connection information.

As to ' Import size"

B: "Import with what"? (phpMyAdmin)?

You really, really, really need a MySQL tutorial. There's no easy way to convey the context this information belongs in here.

:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby ttyler333 » 15. October 2010 17:20

JonB wrote:I'm pretty sure you don't quite mean exactly what you asked.

If the question was - "How does the MySQL client side know what instance of MySQL to attach to?":

A: You only need change the connection information.

As to ' Import size"

B: "Import with what"? (phpMyAdmin)?

You really, really, really need a MySQL tutorial. There's no easy way to convey the context this information belongs in here.

:shock:

im sure i ment what i asked.. but you misunderstood my first question. Godaddy has remote mysql connections. How do i set mine up to be "remote". and the other part. Import size of mysql tables. right now its only 128mib The file im uploading is 400+
ttyler333

Postby JonB » 15. October 2010 19:13

NO -

a. I did not misunderstand you at all -

The answer is you have to know if those GODUMMY.com servers ALLOW remote access. Many ISP SQL servers ONLY allow connections from localhost for webhosting clients on their lower tier plans. This goes to the matter of how the Contol Panel in use creates the GRANT PRVILEGES when creating new databases.

No matter that case - you have to know their MySQL server hostname as a FQ URI and port..

it can take either a hostname form (sqlserver.soemdoamin.net) or an IPv4 address (209.xxx.xx.xx) + (optional Port#)
http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/wikis ... abase.aspx

b . Have you actaully gotten an error trying to import? If so, then what is it? OR are you relying on soem other information you may have? -

What are you trying to import with? - phpMyAdmin or the MySQL monitor?

If its phpMyAdmin read this -
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32475&p=131341&hilit=MySQL+128MB#p131341

Good Luck
:mrgreen:

ysaf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows