problems with powerpc/tiger and XAMPP 0.7.1

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

problems with powerpc/tiger and XAMPP 0.7.1

Postby georose » 05. January 2008 15:42

Dear Mac Apachefriends,

I have installed XAMPP MacOS X 0.7.1 on a powerpc laptop running tiger 10.4.11.

Installation went well but some of the apps are not working, eg.
-no art displayed with Flashart and InstantArt
-no data input occurs with BioRhythmm and CDCollection

Phpmyadmin does work -can make db, tables, etc.

After doing the security setup and restarting XAMPP and the machine (multiple times) the above mentioned problems have not been resolved and Phpmyadmin does NOT work giving the following message

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Have I installed XAMPP MacOS X 0.7.1 incorrectly?

Thanks

George
georose

Re: problems with powerpc/tiger and XAMPP 0.7.1

Postby Eddybaur » 15. January 2008 17:12

For your phpmyadmin problem u need to edit the password line I. Confit.inc.php file located InDa phpmyadmin folder. As for ur others they prob dixie get installed... Or something I don't use that stuff tho..
georose wrote:Dear Mac Apachefriends,

I have installed XAMPP MacOS X 0.7.1 on a powerpc laptop running tiger 10.4.11.

Installation went well but some of the apps are not working, eg.
-no art displayed with Flashart and InstantArt
-no data input occurs with BioRhythmm and CDCollection

Phpmyadmin does work -can make db, tables, etc.

After doing the security setup and restarting XAMPP and the machine (multiple times) the above mentioned problems have not been resolved and Phpmyadmin does NOT work giving the following message

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Have I installed XAMPP MacOS X 0.7.1 incorrectly?

Thanks

George
Eddybaur

Postby jmdirc » 10. February 2008 23:44

I'm trying to learn this stuff but the technical stuff keeps getting in the way.

I've just installed the xampp as well. After I did the password thing, the mysql is running but can't be accessed. I'm not a programmer so I'm kind of lost here. Can anyone put it in layman's terms, for this noob, what I need to do to get up and going?
jmdirc

Access denied after 'fixing' security issues

Postby merlinsmum » 13. February 2008 11:55

Can anyone tell me - is this the bit of config.inc.php to edit so that phpMyAdmin will allow me back into it after 'fixing' the security issues?

/* Server parameters */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'localhost';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'socket';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['compress'] = false;

Can you tell me - do I just need to type in the new password between the two ' ' s? I set up the new password in Terminal but it locked me out of phpMyAdmin afterwards - just as others have found. If I type the new password also into this password part of config.inc.php, will that be all I have to edit? The earlier reply to someone else's question about this was a bit too vague for me. Hope you can help. :?
merlinsmum

Postby jmdirc » 13. February 2008 22:21

in-- config.inc.php

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = 'mmmmmmm' ;

right there, type it like that--no underline though

and in-- xampp/htdocs/xampp/cd.php

on this line-- if(!mysql_connect("localhost","root","mmmmmm"))

type in just like that--no underline though.

You should be all set. Still, the demos are now there but something else is wrong since they still don't work for me. I was thinking moving them, but I'm not sure where yet.
jmdirc

Postby merlinsmum » 14. February 2008 00:14

Thank you - I'll give that a try. :D
merlinsmum

Postby pwray » 28. September 2010 01:04

Excellent. Several other forum entries focussed on the MYSQL steps of updating the PASSWORD column of mysql.user for user root, and modifying config.inc.php to set root's password. However they overlooked cds.php, which I presume is short for Connect-Data-Service. Now xampp is able to log in to mysql and my joomla application has its connection.

As well, the work-around of using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost to view the phpmyadmin page is great.

Thank you for the tip.

However, I am still very curious why http://localhost/phpmyadmin quit working when the root password was set to a secure value.

Is there one more config file property that I must discover to reset to make http://localhost/phpmyadmin operational???
pwray

Postby Nobbie » 28. September 2010 11:21

pwray wrote:However they overlooked cds.php, which I presume is short for Connect-Data-Service.

No, cds.php is simply a demo application and means the plural of "CD" (= AudioCD). This is a standalone application which does not influence any other application and you simply may delete it if you like.

pwray wrote:Is there one more config file property that I must discover to reset to make http://localhost/phpmyadmin operational???

The one and only one config file for phpmyadmin is config.inc.php and you only have to adapt the user and password for mysql, or (what i recommend) change the auth_type from "config" to "cookie":

Code: Select all
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']            = 'cookie';

If you do so, you may leave user and password empty in config.inc.php (as these values are ignored, even if they are not empty), instead you will be asked for a userid and a password online, when starting phpmyadmin.
Nobbie

Postby pwray » 29. September 2010 16:57

Thank you for the clarification. I had not gotten around to experimenting with 'cookie' authorization.

Good know cds.php is the sample cd collection application; I can ignore it.
pwray

Return to XAMPP for macOS