updating components

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

updating components

Postby pcs800 » 14. September 2010 02:57

I am admin on a server which was built by someone else around 2006-2007, this person used xampp to install apache, php, etc. I want to update apache, php, mysql, etc. I thought I would start with apache, and wanted to find out if using the win32 installer for version 2.2.16 from the apache web site would have any issues updating the version that was installed by xampp? The currently installed version says 2.2.4 from a page I put in with the code "<?php phpinfo() ?>" in it, which seems impossible since it was installed 3-4 years ago.
Is there another way to check the apache version?
Thanks in advance
pcs800

Re: updating components

Postby JonB » 14. September 2010 04:34

XAMPP is a suite, like WAMP (and some others).

All the prices are designed to work together with no integration work by the end-user/installer. One 'install' will install Apache, PHP, Perl, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, FileZilla, Mercury Mailserver plus a few more goodies. The main components, Apache, Perl, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin will require no configuring to use as a local test platform. The parts are all pre-configured for you. If you decide to 'do things' or 'open up' your server, there will be changes needed (mostly security). All pretty stright-forward.

If you would like to try out XAMMP just download the current version and install. When its all 'in place' there is nothing to be done other than go to http://localhost and get started. XAMPP is registry-agnostic, so you can easily install/uninstall and not worry about the Windows registry. Only the installer itself is actually registered with Windows.

Look in the XAMMP folder for the readme file to see what version(s) are installed currently (or you may be able to go to http://localhost and find the XAMPP Welcome page) Check in the Control Panel to see if an installer was used. (add.remove programs) You can safelt just delete the old XAMPP install with Windows Expolrer if you wish, or follow the un-install directions ususalyy found in the readme file.

Good Luck and enjoy ~

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby pcs800 » 14. September 2010 14:26

Ok, that's all great info but I don't see how it answers my question. Let me simplify; I want to update apache on a running production server, can I do this by using the apache installer for win32 (it's a win2003 server), or will this hose things up?
Everything was originally installed by xampp, can I update apache with the apache installer from the apache web site? Or do i have to use the latest xampp installer to update apache?
pcs800

Postby BigWetDog » 14. September 2010 15:03

Short answer, No. You can't update the individual servers of an XAMPP installation.
Long answer, updating the individual servers using the respective product installers would in the end require you to do so with each and all of the XAMPP components, as well as reconfiguring them, thus nullifying your existing configuration files, and while possible, it is unlikely that the XAMPP control panel would support that type of installation.
If it is a business requirement that you upgrade, then a) you shouldn't be using XAMPP in a production environment, and b) you should be managing and configuring each required sever independently.
BigWetDog

Postby pcs800 » 15. September 2010 02:42

Ok, so if I use the latest xampp installer I am afraid that would break the web site and I would be left with a nightmare trying to find and fix things. Sounds like my best course of action is to start a new server from scratch.
pcs800

Return to XAMPP for Windows