You don't have permission to access the requested directory

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

You don't have permission to access the requested directory

Postby xamppman12 » 21. August 2010 10:55

Hello,

First, please forgive me using English since my mother tongue is not German.

I use Xampp v 1.7.3 to host websites on my Macbook Pro. Last night, after I added a virtual host in the vhost config file, I pointed the browser to the new website I expected to see the index page in the browser but instead I got this:
=====
"You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected."

403 error.

Apache/2.2.14 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l JRun/4.0 PHP/5.3.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1
=====

Meaning Apache was unable to read files from the folder that contained the files for my virtual host.

Nothing is different from the other Virtual hosts that did not give me this error. I was able to request pages from them. So I changed permissions on the new folder that gave me trouble. From user <me> (my loginname), group "admin" to user "nobody", group "nobody" since that is the user Apache runs as on Mac OS X (as specified in the httpd.conf file) but I cannot get rid of the error.

I keep getting this 403 error.

Worse, since I decided to change permissions on the _root_ of the directory containing my virtual hosts (www) and have all files and folders below inherit the new user/group (nobody/nogroup) all of my virtual hosts give me the error 403 message.

What can I do to fix this?

Danke,

xamppman12
xamppman12

Re: You don't have permission to access the requested directory

Postby xamppman12 » 21. August 2010 11:24

Ok, I fond the solution:

set the permissions to 755 (Read/eXecute for Group/Everyone). So my www folder and it's content is accesible again!
xamppman12

Return to XAMPP for macOS