Missing php_mime_magic, php4ts, and php__pdf dlls???

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Missing php_mime_magic, php4ts, and php__pdf dlls???

Postby Tyree » 31. July 2010 16:54

I just recently started having the problem where when I attempt to start Apache and MySQL, I get errors saying that php_mime_magic.dll, php4ts.dll, and php_pdf.dll files are missing.

First I downloaded the files and replaced the files (they were already in the php/ext folder). That didn't work. I then reinstalled XAMPP and then the files weren't there at all. So, I downloaded them again. Still says they aren't there. What the heck?

Any idea why I would suddenly start getting these errors? XAMPP used to work just fine.

Thanks!
Matt
Tyree

Re: Missing php_mime_magic, php4ts, and php__pdf dlls???

Postby Tyree » 31. July 2010 22:10

I JUST installed the latest full version of XAMPP for Windows and those two files are definitely not in there. I had to download them and copy them in.

The lines for php_mime_magic and php_pdf were uncommented in php.ini. I commented them out and the errors went away.

Do I need those two libraries for anything?
Tyree

Postby JonB » 01. August 2010 01:16

Do I need those two libraries for anything?

Only you could know that. (BUT - those extensions are probably deprecated and/or replicated by PEAR/PECL/Zend components anyway).

The 'right answer' is to Google them, and read what the function/extension does. I'm pretty sure the php_pdf.dll is for PDF output. mime_magic is deprecated in favor of filesinfo. If you need to do PDF ourput, you should look for a PHP function in the libraries included with the current XAMPP version.

I can shed light on one or two other things for you.

The phpXts.dll is the primary PHP component/module that Apache calls. The X is the version number, and the 'ts' is for 'thread safe' (the only option for Win32 Apache). So as Wole pointed out, its not relevant to PHP 5 installations.

PHP extensions (dlls) are version specific (as to PHP) and must be compiled with the same compiler used for Apache (at least in XAMPP for Windows installations). Thus many 'foreign extensions' just won't work, or throw errors.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Tyree » 01. August 2010 13:14

Hmmm...I think what has happened is I have carried this same php.ini file over through too many versions. I just reinstalled and copied my old ini file back in to save time on making changes. Although I thought I first installed XAMPP with php5+. So, I'm not sure where the reference to php4ts.dll came from. I can't find it at all in the php.ini file. And when I commented out the lines for mime_magic and php_pdf, the php4ts error went away too.
I think I need to figure out which lines I've edited in my ini file and just use the current ini file and make the same changes if they're still pertinent.

Really, I'm just a couple steps above a novice. So, a lot of the inner workings and settings to php are beyond me. When I want something to work differently, I just do some research and change some settings even if I don't COMPLETELY understand why. So, extensions like these don't really mean much to me.

I think I did most of the editing to the ini file when trying to get xdebug working with Netbeans IDE. Never did work! :-D

Thanks!
Matt
Tyree

Postby JonB » 01. August 2010 17:53

Great! You are learning a bit of the insides now. (that's important - as it helps debugging).

I can make a suggestion - it goes for all 'monkeying' with code.

Whenever YOU change a configuration file, someone else's code, CSS or whatver YOU didn't write - Add comments with 'your 'handle' on them right where you make the changes (if you are really picky - add the date) - and keep a 'whatever-project_changes.txt' file in the root folder for your project.

Code: Select all
/* JonB (or Matt) changes here - needed to add blah-blah-blah for 'top_navigation' */
The comments will be what you search for when debugging (or summarixzing changes).

I learned all this stuff the same way you are now (the hard way). :mrgreen:

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows