HELP with ftp users

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

HELP with ftp users

Postby paRyGuy » 10. July 2010 15:43

I'm using proftpd, and I have no idea how to configure ftp users for virtual domains.

Does anyone know any good links or info on how to setup ftp users using XAMPP?

Please any help is much appreciated this is taking forever and I can't seem to get any of the info out there to work with XAMPP
paRyGuy

Re: HELP with ftp users

Postby Nobbie » 11. July 2010 10:22

paRyGuy wrote:I'm using proftpd, and I have no idea how to configure ftp users for virtual domains.

I never heard that FTP "knows" virtual domains (= virtualhosts?). That is a feature of webservers (like Apache), not of FTP programs.
Nobbie

Postby paRyGuy » 11. July 2010 14:43

Gotchya, I can just creat a user for a specific domain that has a limited home directory but I still can't get a user to be able to delete files or modify permissions, using XAMPP do I use the main /etc/usr file? Where are the users and groups found under XAMPP? Thanks for the quick reply
paRyGuy

Postby Nobbie » 11. July 2010 14:54

paRyGuy wrote:Gotchya, I can just creat a user for a specific domain that has a limited home directory but I still can't get a user to be able to delete files or modify permissions, using XAMPP do I use the main /etc/usr file? Where are the users and groups found under XAMPP? Thanks for the quick reply

Sorry - I have no idea what you are talking about. "Xampp" does not know users or groups, to be more precisely: Xampp is only an abbreveation for a collection of different software products. Xampp is not a tool by itself, it is a distribution a Apache, MySQL, PHP and an FTP Server program (which depends on the OS).
Nobbie

Postby paRyGuy » 11. July 2010 16:25

I guess where I'm having an issue is just the process.

I'm running XAMPP on Ubuntu.

I'm able to create a user who can ftp in, but for some reason I can't create directories or modify folders in some folders but in others. How can I best manage permissions for a user/group that would apply to all folders?
paRyGuy

Postby Nobbie » 11. July 2010 17:33

I still have no idea what you are talking about.

Where (and how) do you create users, what is meant by "... who can ftp"?

What does it mean "I can't create directories" - who is "I"? Personally you? Or someone logged in with a certain (your?) userId? And in which context? Are you working in a shell? On the local PC? Or are you logged in in a FTP Server with a certain account? Or what?
Nobbie

Postby paRyGuy » 11. July 2010 19:07

Ok, so here's exactly what I'm trying to do.

I have multiple domains under the /domains folder.

I'd like a user to be able to modify any folder/file under the /domains folder.

I'd also like to have a user or a group for each domain within that folder and limited to only that domain. It seems to be an ownership issue? I notice that if the folder is under the ownership of root I cannot modify it from any user profile. Does that make sense?

Maybe I just need to take it to a higher level in the sense that, what is the best practice for setting up FTP users with multiple domains? I'd like to have an admin group, who can access/modify anything under the domains folder and I'd like to have users who are limited to their home directory.
Is this making it more confusing?

I really appreciate your time and patience Noobie, a name suited for myself.
paRyGuy

Return to XAMPP for Linux