Mail features

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mail features

Postby psyyy » 05. July 2010 12:45

Hey there,

I'm a php coder and I hate that it's very uncomfortable to debug mail-programs: Did the mail arrive? Did everything work (plaintext/htmltext) etc... Currently, I'm always var_dump($phpmailer) (I'm using the phpmailer class) and look, if everything's alright.

But it would be nice, if it would be able to have a local mail-listening service on localhost (I did not configure localhost to be able to send mails, so currently, the mails just aren't sent) which displays all sent mails with subject, receiver-mail, receiver-name, and contents.

Is there anything like that?
thanks!
psyyy

Re: Mail features

Postby psyyy » 09. July 2010 13:34

Anybody? :(
psyyy

Postby JonB » 09. July 2010 14:12

apparently not. (other than maybe me :mrgreen: )

I'm not sure on this (although I know a pretty fair amount about e-mail services) but you might be able to loopback an SMTP server and client (like Mercury Mail). You might have to use hosts file entries as you will need 'servernames' such as mail.blahblahblah.local to pick up the mail from. You would use the XAMMP sendmail.exe in mail_function in php.ini (search for help on that in this forum or check my post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41163 ) and you would need to configure Mercury as an SMTP and POP server -- then use a standard e-mail client like Thunderbird or Zimbra to pickup the mail.

see this video, it seems to be what you are after =

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnfF64rA78

I don't use Mercury, so I am unfamiliar with its configuration, I use hMail (another free -- and very powerful -- Windows Mailserver. Its an excellent scalable solution that has great support in their forums (thanks Doom)

http://www.hmailserver.com/

You could Google loopback mail, too --- :idea:

Good Luck with your project.
:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby psyyy » 09. July 2010 15:53

Ah I see, thanks! Probably it's not so easy to solve since I would have to direct every mail-addy

blaa@domain.comm

to

blaa@localhost

and I would have to have an account for each mail addy... :( So it's probably really only a very very light test case
psyyy

Postby JonB » 09. July 2010 18:35

Prolly not

just make a Hosts entry that redirects domain.com to 127.0.0.1

it gets tricky though, so prolly 'not easy' as you say.

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby psyyy » 09. July 2010 18:38

Yeah sure but instead of domain.com, there can be anything ... Perhaps better I'm directly replacing all mail addys in the DB with

test@localhost

^^ Easier, even if not the real setup...
psyyy

Return to XAMPP for Windows