Can't connect to mysql ?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't connect to mysql ?

Postby darkenrule » 02. July 2010 21:18

Greetings-

I am getting the following error when I try to connect to mysql via localhost/mysql:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
localhost
7/2/2010 1:09:33 PM
Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_autoindex_color PHP/5.3.1 mod_apreq2-20090110/2.7.1 mod_perl/2.0.4 Perl/v5.10.1

Any help would be appreciated. I apologize if this is a "beginner" question, just getting started with xampp.

Thanks
darkenrule

Re: Can't connect to mysql ?

Postby smaudet » 02. July 2010 22:06

Have you started your MySQL Server?

If not navigate to your xampp installation directory, doubleclick on the xampp-control.exe, and ensure that your MySQL server has been started. If it hasn't, attempt to start it using the button command.

Otherwise there should be a way to start it from one of the executables in the mysql/bin directory under your xampp installation directory.
smaudet

Postby smaudet » 02. July 2010 22:08

Ah, my bad, didn't read your post carefully enough.

localhost/mysql doesn't exist.

If you wish to administer your mysql database, you can use the included localhost/phpmyadmin/ module.
smaudet

Postby darkenrule » 02. July 2010 23:06

Thanks smaudet-

I can get to the phpmyadmin interface and open it and create databases and tables, I was just wondering if when I goto localhost/mysql if I should be able to see something. In a nutshell, I am trying to create a web based user management system that provides login and register fields so that I can administer things remotely for users.
darkenrule

Postby smaudet » 02. July 2010 23:34

You're welcome.

There is nothing in the xampp package (at least that I am aware of) that gives you something when you visit localhost/mysql.

That is to say, there is certainly nothing stopping you from creating your own mysql directory and installing your own php based software in that directory, but I don't know of any software packages that do specifically the thing you are speaking of. MySQL is a database software module and SQL language variant, not a PHP module, though there do exist commands in PHP with to interact with MySQL.

If you merely need to remotely administrate users, you can of course use a PHP-based CMS (Drupal, Joomla, etc.) system, a phpBB board, a MediaWiki, etc.

But I have never personally heard of or come across a php module solely for administrating users in a MYSQL database. Though phpmyadmin certianly can achieve this functionality. This does not mean that such at thing does not exist, though perhaps you might want to elaborate on what exactly it is you want to administer.
smaudet

Return to XAMPP for Windows