XAMPP on Ubuntu

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP on Ubuntu

Postby asder » 22. June 2010 10:41

I've just installed Ubuntu.
I've installed XAMPP step by step as this page says:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html#377.

I've installed Mysql Administrator.

The test page is ok, but when I try to go to Phpmyadmin I receive this error message:
Wrong permission on configuration file, should not be world writable!

And when I try to connect to mysql Administrator I receive this:
"MySQL Error 2002. Can't connect to local mysql server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
Click the ping button to see if there's a network problem".
But if I ping there's no problem.

I've read the FAQ and looking for it on Google, but I didn't find nothing.

Any help, please? :)
asder

Re: XAMPP on Ubuntu

Postby Nobbie » 22. June 2010 12:34

Looks like you already have a MySQL version running on your Ubuntu (which now collides with Xampps MySQL). Or you screwed up the config files of MySQL.
Nobbie

Postby BobMCT » 22. June 2010 21:07

As Nobbie stated - you seem to have the linux installed version of MySQL running. Disable that instance and set it to NOT start at boot time. Then, the version you will want to use is found in /opt/lampp/bin/mysql which is the usual installation directory. There will be other programs that you will have to address in the same manner such as mysqldump, php, and other.

Hope this helps.
Registered Linux User #320395
BobMCT

Postby asder » 23. June 2010 08:52

I've just installed Ubuntu, and the first program I've installed was XAMPP.

Does Ubuntu have a pre-installed version of MySQL?

And, of course, I don't have screwed any config files. :)
asder

Postby Nobbie » 23. June 2010 12:21

asder wrote:I've just installed Ubuntu, and the first program I've installed was XAMPP.

Interesting - how did you "put" MySQL Administrator into your Ubuntu?? Maybe you installed MySQL accidently by installing MySQL Administrator. Or MySQL Administrator comes with a configuration that does not match Xampps MySQL. Or or or...

asder wrote:Does Ubuntu have a pre-installed version of MySQL?

It depends. Ubuntu comes in different flavours - a desktop edition, a server edition, a netbook edition and so on. The server edition contains MySQL.

Anyway:

a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop plus a new Xampp installation (and nothing else!) does not behave like your installation. MySQL Administrator is NOT part of Xampp.
Nobbie

Postby asder » 23. June 2010 15:10

Nobbie wrote:
asder wrote:I've just installed Ubuntu, and the first program I've installed was XAMPP.

Interesting - how did you "put" MySQL Administrator into your Ubuntu?? Maybe you installed MySQL accidently by installing MySQL Administrator. Or MySQL Administrator comes with a configuration that does not match Xampps MySQL. Or or or...

I've installed MySQL Administrator after XAMPP, to check if there was a problem with mysql configuration (after the problem with phpmyadmin).
And I'm sure I've installed MySQL Administrator and not MySQL, I've never installed anything "accidently". :)
Now the question is: Mysql Administrator requires mysql when I install it from the Ubuntu's package manager? Cause in this case...

Nobbie wrote:
asder wrote:Does Ubuntu have a pre-installed version of MySQL?

It depends. Ubuntu comes in different flavours - a desktop edition, a server edition, a netbook edition and so on. The server edition contains MySQL.

I've installed the Alternate edition, cause I've not much ram...

Nobbie wrote:Anyway:

a fresh install of Ubuntu Desktop plus a new Xampp installation (and nothing else!) does not behave like your installation. MySQL Administrator is NOT part of Xampp.

I'll try again...

And how can I install Mysql Administrator AFTER Xampp without any problem?

Thanks again!
asder

Postby Nobbie » 23. June 2010 16:35

asder wrote:And how can I install Mysql Administrator AFTER Xampp without any problem?

I dont know.

But: why will you install Xampp - if you install Apache, PHP, MySQL und MySQL Administrator via Ubuntu's Software Package Management, it will properly work together.
Nobbie

Postby BobMCT » 23. June 2010 17:49

Having installed and maintained both for years now, I prefer to use Ubuntu Server then install Xampp for Linux along with Webmin for gui-like administration. Webmin also does a very good job at administering my databases as well. With a little module config tweaking webmin does MOST of the servers needs. :!:
Registered Linux User #320395
BobMCT

Return to XAMPP for Linux